touge's ae101 racecar - ‘fab it all from scratch’ project

Rhyscar

Been doing some more work/destruction on this after the summer break. I managed to motivate myself to have a racecar I can hoon around the country in in the near future (before travel/kids) so need to crack on.

If I can get all the fab work and body painted in the next 12months I’ll be happy then I’ll just wait for a cash injection to finish it off adding the ecu and expensive bits. 

Have done some some work on the top of the fuel tank but not finished just yet I’ve come across a few challenges that are hindering further progress. (Mainly my brain not being able to figure out how it will work/come apart)

Needed to remount my steering column as it had too much flex and wasn’t happy with it. Not finished yet but happy with the direction I’m heading in and getting good use of my pipe bender! 

3F24338A-53B9-45BC-ACD5-C80D4701A7FF.thumb.jpeg.89818a34e5a3c390079e5188ddc3d65a.jpeg

makes mounting the motorbike dash and a few other things a lot easier too. 

6B5427EF-6168-41CC-B1A1-F87D678DEC9F.thumb.jpeg.e3a3eabb1c035fe0a33e38f8135626b2.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut out the front tubs to make the appropriate clearance needed for the ride height and got a bit carried away with the grinder. Long story short I’ve got a bit carried away again and want to manage the airflow in the dead spaces of the car such as this from high pressure areas to reduce drag

4E3D1403-8B82-4984-BDA1-E39FEFC16DC8.thumb.jpeg.01f03858188b91cea696070cae6ddf6e.jpeg

Made some cardboard CAD templates but not yet happy with the result so watch this space  

Decided the radiator support also will go once I replicate the headlight mounting points also as I won’t have a radiator in the front and will free up space for the air box. 

In summary not much actual progress but a swell of enthusiasm and motivation which is generally the predecessor to shit getting done! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Added a few more braces to the mounting without trying to make it too strong so frontal impact etc isn’t effected too much.

Has some movement so I’m sure will rattle with solid engine mounts but shouldn’t effect night driving too much 

Hopefully saving some weight too I’ve cut heaps of shit out of the front end and not a lot going back in..

got oil cooler mounted and will start ducting that when I convert my shed back to Ali after I’ve finished all this mild steel fab.

F3BEC166-82DB-4EB7-A8AE-2D106F4C5AB5.thumb.jpeg.11927580a16e5e8f41b36a66e8755b8b.jpeg

Any opinions on what colour/coating these headlight mounts should be?? They unbolt so I can remanufacture when I crash it/bend it.

a) zinc passivated like subframes

b) powdercoat white

c) powdercoat gunmetal grey

d) other options??

Im 76.9% sure engine bay will be painted white. Tossing up gunmetal cause it looks tidy but like the idea of the carpet matching the drapes etc. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thanks Markku. Yeah agree it’s the first time I’ve really seen it all together and it blew me away how low it was and how unlike a teenagers-first-car spec it is. Very motivating. 

In other news I’ve been doing some reading of this book that arrived. Interesting read even though some of the data/engines are old it’s still very relevant.

D54301B3-51A9-453D-A50A-FDD258CBAD0F.thumb.jpeg.bc4d418b98f3575dddadf5e6dec04b25.jpeg 

Interestingly after a bit of ready I’m leaning towards a 4-1 stepped header instead of a 4-2-1. 

Not as much info on expansion chamber design as I’d hoped though. They damaged the book in transit so I’ve got a replacement on the way if you want it?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rhyscar said:

Thanks Markku. Yeah agree it’s the first time I’ve really seen it all together and it blew me away how low it was and how unlike a teenagers-first-car spec it is. Very motivating. 

In other news I’ve been doing some reading of this book that arrived. Interesting read even though some of the data/engines are old it’s still very relevant.

D54301B3-51A9-453D-A50A-FDD258CBAD0F.thumb.jpeg.bc4d418b98f3575dddadf5e6dec04b25.jpeg 

Interestingly after a bit of ready I’m leaning towards a 4-1 stepped header instead of a 4-2-1. 

Not as much info on expansion chamber design as I’d hoped though. They damaged the book in transit so I’ve got a replacement on the way if you want it?

I'd be keen for a copy. 

If you want some interesting header data, go over to KPR's starlet thread. He has a dyno now and has been testing a couple of different 4-1 headers (38 and 44mm) and tried a 4-2-1 and an expansion chamber a while ago too. 

Here's the link: 

Yeah it is a black hole indeed. 

Interesting data about the megaphones. Looks very weighted towards v8 collector sizes though! 

The book describes them as tail pipes and has similar data around 7-10deg angle and lengths. There isn’t much about the angle of the reverse cone but my understanding is the steeper the angle determines the sonic power reflected and over what rev range.

I suspect picking something in the middle of the recommended angles (similar to dads expansion chamber) is the way to go unless you are doing all the calcs and can test 2-3 designs. 

• Like 1

I’m curious about whether  reversion/reflection cone would ever be beneficial on a 4 stroke. The diversion cone makes sense to me - the taper creates expansion waves heading out and at the same time creates a negative pressure wave that heads back up the pipe to aid scavenging IF the wave is timed correctly.

I don’t see why adding reversion would work on a 4 stroke because there’s minimal fresh fuel/air in the pipes to shove back into the cylinder.