Column change gear lever adjustment?

coldturkey

Hey,

My stupid van is really hard to get into gear, gears 1,2,5,R are the most affected. Im pretty sure its not the clutch, even when the car is not running its a mission to get into get. I end up having to "Slam" it into gear. Its a cable clutch anyway and it is disengaging/engaging fine.

Since these are all the outer gears, I thought perhaps the adjustment of the gearstick is wrong or something (column change, with an Eight-Ball :P )? To be honest I havent had a good look if they are even adjustable, but was just wondering if anyone knew.

Its a 1986 Nissan Vanette with A15 engine.

there may be adjusters on the shifter linkages on the gearbox..

pay to check them out, if it cable shifted it might have slightly stretched cables..

otherwise the synchros are probably a bit work..

do an oil change if its not the cables..

all valid points.

So the odds are if the cables are adjustable, and thats the problem, I will have to tighten them cause they would have stretched. I guess a bit of trial and error is required.

Gear oil change may be on the cards, its just a bit of a bitch cause you cant fill it through the shifter >.<

yeah removal of play is key. but is a pain in the arse.

best is get under the car with someone else playing with the gears and see how they operate.

then figure out adjustments from there.

Also did you just say vanettes have cable clomun change??

If so anyone wreaking one? need that shit for my Crown wagon

Ah. Thanks for the advice gents.

I changed the gearbox oil after work and also adjusted one of the linkages so I can get into reverse and into first gear

(before I think it was adjusted too far back that it was only able to easily get into reverse/5th, not 1st and 2nd, which explains a lot).

It is now 500000,0000,00001 times better!

I did notice a lot of play so will be attempting to add washers or something. But for now, FUCK yEA! it drives mean.

@ Al, I meant cable clutch, its got solid metal gear linkages, have never heard of a cable column shift sorry!