steel head gaskets, copper sealant or not

plasticdash

Don't bother with it. Clean up the faces really well and torque down the head. It shouldn't be necessary to use a sealant if the mating surfaces are smooth and flat. In saying that I did use copper spray on my mini head gasket recently because it was a solid copper gasket. What is your application?

i dunno about exact temperature, but i'd say its well hotter than a oven, normally you'd use a gas torch, and first set it so its burning with no oxygen, then run it over the copper just to blacken the surface, then turn the oxy on and heat until the black goes away, then it is hot enough to put in water

i've done this at home with a bic lighter to black it, then a gas cooker to heat the copper

i dunno about exact temperature, but i'd say its well hotter than a oven, normally you'd use a gas torch, and first set it so its burning with no oxygen, then run it over the copper just to blacken the surface, then turn the oxy on and heat until the black goes away, then it is hot enough to put in water

i've done this at home with a bic lighter to black it, then a gas cooker to heat the copper

Awesome. Both sides?