Holden 202 Red hand cranking

Threeonthetree

I'm looking to turn over by hand the 202 red motor (QL prefix) in my HG and needed a bit of help from anybody who has done this in the past. The harmonic balancer/pulley at the crank has provision for an in-hex socket? to be fitted, and I assume this is to turn the motor over by hand. I have deduced from trail and error that the hex slot is approximately 7.5mm in diameter but wanted to know if anybody can confirm the proper size. 9/32 In (7.1438mm) is too small and 5/16 In(7.9375) is too large. The only other sizes I believe it could be are 19/64 (7.5406mm) or 7.5mm metric. It'd be great if anybody could shed some light on this. Or, if there are any other suggestions for turning the motor over by hand.

Cheers.

Here is a similar pulley, albeit out of the engine so the hex slot isn't visible.

Dsc01424.jpg

The in-hex? socket that I was talking about.

GRE-Hex-Socket.jpg

Or you could do what I do...

Those 3 threaded holes are the same thread as the flywheel bolts, bang 3 in there then use a solid bar between 2 of them... ok its not on a ratchet but i have done this with these motors for years.

Are the plugs in or out as a red is around 9.4:1 compression unlike the black motors which are around 8.6

7.5mm isn't alot to turn over a motor? Is there no large bolt on the end of the crank?

Nah man, there's no bolt on the end like there are in a lot of Japanese/other cars.

I think you have to add a bolt first before you can turn it, maybe a thread too.

Usually I remove the plugs and turn by the fan.

I'll probably give the fan method a go. Provided there is enough tension on the belt, if it's possible to turn the motor over by hand then this is probably the easiest method.

pretty much what he said.

Remove plugs, Have fan fitted with belt, but a bit of extra tension on belt if need be and turn over by the fan blades.

But my god man, WATCH YOUR FINGERS

Thanks for the tip Seedy, I'll give this a try when I find the time. I value my fingers, so due care will be taken

Or you could do what I do...

Those 3 threaded holes are the same thread as the flywheel bolts, bang 3 in there then use a solid bar between 2 of them... ok its not on a ratchet but i have done this with these motors for years.

Are the plugs in or out as a red is around 9.4:1 compression unlike the black motors which are around 8.6

Thanks alot :D

I'll probably give the fan method a go first, just due to ease (and my laziness), but the bolt method with a lengthy bar that you're talking about is what I'd been thinking all along. The spark plugs will be removed for hand cranking. Bang on with the compression ratio there, it's 9.4:1 everywhere I've checked.