Turbo upgrades

Josh

Yeah the confusion comes from the lack of GENUINE bits, like I said back in my first post you need to be a bit picky about where you buy the upgraded wheels from..

I believe this is a nice sized upgrade to prevent things tapering off at high RPM but still maintains good spool..

Out of curiosity... I dont think the TD05 is a BB turb - is there a reason that people avoid ball bearings other then cost? My BB turbo was basically amazing but motor was too ballistic to be able to tell when boost came on. Couldnt watch gauges etc for fear of death. I just always assumed BB turbos were the new black. Maybe not

i'm not a fan of BB turbos for track cars, plain bearings seem to take alot more abuse, was going to change my t28 to a tdo5hr-10.5, but really want more power than that, was thinking just a 20g wheel would be sweet but $900 seems pretty good for a tdo6 swap, will it go into the earlier 4-8 housing also?

yeah you'd need to know someone who knows someone to get it done for that sort of money... It will go into the 4-8 housing also but the 9 housing has the nice 10.5t exhaust housing and the bigger inlet and compressor cover, which will help flow a little..

evo 4 compressor

PC270176.jpg

evo 9 compressor

PC270175.jpg

My evo has not been properly tuned but is making 229kw at 18 psi on that turbo, with only a walbro fuel pump and home made 3'' exhaust. I'd say the turbo is capable of around 280kw with a bit more boost and a proper tune.

the 10.5 rear on the evo 8 housing should be a nice combo, i ran the E9 rear on my evo 4 turbo whilst i was waiting for the turbo to be built, it seemed to free up a little bit of top end.

The e9 core has a larger front face than the 4-8 so the comp covers are not interchangeable, also the 9 cover takes up a fair bit more room.. (I had to trim the radiator fan a bit) And interestingly i have a turbine wheel from a 9 turbo runs a super lightweight TI-AL turbine wheel, i have one of these which has a slight bend in the quill shaft so is now ornament spec only which is a bit sad.

If your's is a proper HRA from an RS it should also run the lightweight wheel which is SUPPOSED to improve spool by something like 500RPM??

If the E8 HRA is in good nick and you'd like to save some cash I would reccomend a decent backcut to the current turbine wheel and fit up the same TD06 20g wheel that mine has, you'd only need to machine the compressor cover.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any more questions to prevent too much more spammage in this thread.

EDIT DUH, Hey Todd/drftnmaz .... I just figured out who you are :lol: