temp and fuel gauge no go, ideas?

Beaver

the water temp gauge and the fuel gauge on the avenger dont go. all the dash lights, high beam indicator, indicators and charge light work, and there is only one big plug that goes into the back of the dash. if i disconnect the water temp sender and earth the wire, the gauge goes to max, which indicates the gauge itself is working (am i right?), so it must be the sender. correct?

and correct me if im wrong but the fuel gauge sender thingy varies is resistance depending on the level of fuel? so if i hook up a multimeter to the tank and adjust the level of petrol (or take it out and move it up and down) i should get different resistance readings?

in the haynes manual it said if both of these are not working it may be due to a fault with the voltage stabilizer (which it says is plugged into the back of the dash). however mine doesnt have one, or a place for one to be.

in the haynes manual it said if both of these are not working it may be due to a fault with the voltage stabilizer (which it says is plugged into the back of the dash). however mine doesnt have one, or a place for one to be.

dad said these things always go and it would be where he would look first when i told him your issues the other day. Will hit dad up about speedo cable now, if hes got one bring it over, dad will probably point out the voltage regulator in about 2 secs if its got one.

Some cars i've had the stabiliser is inside the gauge cluster- have a look. If the car has been sat ages without much fuel in it the variable resistor thing can corrode over. Usually a few good bends sloshing the petrol around and it going up and down can get it working again-in my old triumph i pulled it out of the tank and just very lightly sanded the corrosion off the resistor.

I looked through my manuals and all but 1 shows the UK super dashboard (it has oil, volts, water, fuel and speed guages in a strip format) which has the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster. so does the round cluster Alpine version.

This manual has a photo of the back of the NZ super cluster and you can't see the voltage regulator but looking at the wiring diagram it does have one somewhere. I could email you picture so you can trace the wires back is probably your best bet. I have a double up of this manual. it covers a few things the haynes one doesn't I can give it to you on wednesday if you like. I got it of trademe for $1.