Oil pissing out the filler cap problem, mk 3 cortina pinto.

crazy_rich

Hey, my corty has the above issue. The engine was rebuilt 2 years ago and hasnt done 20km since, took it for a ride yesterday and besides being sinfully slow it was all good 'till I started giving it some moderage herbage. I'm not convinced its positively pressurising the head, holding my hand over the oil cap hole it tries to gently suck my hand to it. It has sprung a leak like this before, about a year ago when my old man took it in for a wof, leading me to replace the o-ring on the oil cap. I'm thinking perhaps the crude mesh breather in the cap cant handle the mild splashage its receiving from the cam below it? Have any of you other pinto fiends had a similar problem?

Also does anyone know of any mack daddy old school mechanics in Christchurch that are capable of tuning up an old weber carby? Its been rekitted but apparently I need the idle mixture reset with an exhaust gas analiser, which didnt come with my haynes manual.

Thanks if you got through all of that, any help would be magestic. cheers.

Havent really pulled high revs out of it yet, but yesterday the leaking oil got to the exhaust manifold shortly after I dropped it down into 2nd to load it up a bit, I cant be sure how much oil had got out before then. Id imagine nothing would come out if I nana'd it everywhere, put it that way.

No it doesnt have a plate under the cap. I wouldnt have thought a fresh engine would have any significant blowby. I've got an aftermarket oil cap with a much denser mesh in it, I might try that and see how it goes. And give it a compression test. I'd be livid if it needs reringed or anything like that.

Hmm jiff... nice.

I just took it for a spin with the new oil cap on. seemed to be ok untill the way back driving it at 80km it just started smoking again.

Is there any way it could be an oil drainage issue? i.e. the oil not draining out of the head quick enough and getting forced out the cap? If it was being caused by blowby I would have though the oil would be rather dirty, not nice and clean?

fresh engine fresh oil? shouldn't be anything there to contaminate it.

check the compression and maybe swap your tappet cover over for one with a splash guard,

were the bores honed on rebuild? as i've struck an engine rebuilt that had assembly oil put on the rings

which glazed a bore and made mean blowby when it got lent on

I've just done a compression test on her, its an even 150psi on all cylinders and they all take about 8-9 revs to get there, I'd imagine thats about right? The engine has had new rings, bearings, cam, followers, .040 bore, pistons, resized rods, re seated valves, etc etc. It was machined and assembled by a qualified engine machinist, so It'll have been done right.

Last night I mucked around cleaning up the pcv valve and the oil seperator tank, my confidence of this being the problem were high due to the amount of coked up crap I managed to get out of it, However, I just took it for a squirt around the block and its still leaking, though leaking is an understatement considering the muderhouse style splatter marks all up the inside of the bonnet and firewall. My best guess is that its pressurising under load as the rings are not yet bedded in yet, though I dont understand why its not venting out through the oil seperator & pcv valve like it should. The next thing I think I'll do is what my mate who built it has suggested & fit an oil catch can and just drive it to see if it gets any better as it beds in. What do u guys think?

Sadly I think it has broken rings. The PCV valve can't deal with it because there is more getting into the crank case than the PCV valve can get out. I doubt very much that it is caused by rings not bedded in as that leads to oil use not massive blow by.

Try a catch can, If it persists it will probably have to come out. No panic though head and sump off and see what gives.