Help with gearbox mounts

keltik

Cant get my head around this. Mostly because im excellent at technical shit, but i suck massive dong at anything involving creativity.

Basically the new gearbox uses a mount in a different place to where the crossmember is on the car. Have attached a technical drawing i made earlier.

techdrawin1.jpg

Yellow is the current crossmember location. Green is where the mount would be for this gearbox.

Plan A is to make a small adapter so i can use the mounts off the old gearbox and bolt them onto the side of the new gearbox in the right places for the EA71 crossmember.

Cant easily move the crossmember rearwards. There are some bolts on the gearbox near where the mounts need to go so should be fairly easy to fold up a piece of steel to attach to those bolts and then bolt the old mounts to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Ive been trying to think of a clever way to do this for far too long. My original plan doesnt look so easy using the lack of talent/tools that i have.

Willing to pay someone to do it as long as they dont want too many moneys. Suggestions on good places in Palmerston North?

steel plate, into the 'current mounts' going backwards to allow the 'new' mounts to bolt up, must be 6mm, can do it with a drill, (some oil for drilling lube) and a angle grinder with a 1mm cutting wheel, and a grinding wheel to tidy up the cut (or a file and vise).

follow me ?

Have some 6mm Flat bar. So your thinking a couple pieces of that welded to the EJ16 mount location then run the 4 inches backwards to the EA71 mounts.

Yeah that could work!! I was a bit worred about it being too flexible, but given the fact the 6mm bar will be used vertically and thats the direction of force - shouldnt be a problem right?

Will post pics as soon as possible. I think its one of those things that looks really gay in photos but is easy to spot in person. But i shall try!

On a completely unrelated side note. Took the car out again tonight using a chock of wood as a temporary mount and discovered a shitload of problems to address once ive figured this out.