What coil do I need?

keltik

Original motor had points ignition and my new one uses a hall effect/optical pickup inside the distributor. Theres also a big chunky transistor thing in there that im assuming uses the low current signal from the sensor to switch the coil.

Do i need to change my coil or do any other fancy wiring here? Dont really want to fry my shiny new distributor. Cost me $50 that did!

Any way to tell apart a ballast resisted coil? The original coil has a small white block on the bracket that one of the leads pass through.

The distributor seems to have the ignitor inside it. The distributor has vacuum advance to sort out the ignition curve. Distributor is off a Subaru EJ18 motor.

I picked up a coil from a 1992 Brumby (electronic ignition) which had a resistance of 2ohm on the primary winding. My current coil also has a 2ohm resistance there but has another 2ohms added when including the ballast.

Can i just remove the ballast from my current coil and save myself $120?

I picked up a coil from a 1992 Brumby (electronic ignition) which had a resistance of 2ohm on the primary winding. My current coil also has a 2ohm resistance there but has another 2ohms added when including the ballast.

Can i just remove the ballast from my current coil and save myself $120?

no, it will cook. coils with a balist resister like running at about 7 volts. and when you are crankn the motor

it gets full battery voltage - about 10 - 12 volts.

then once u let the key go it uses the ballist resister again.

just go abco and get a coil off a telstar or sum shit. or a new one if its worth it to you.