Glow plug questions

LingLing

My car smokes a lot at start, normal driving is smooth tho.

the 1C engine has done about 300,000kms, burns(needs top up 2-3 times in 6month, I drive 400kms per week) and leaks(not to the ground) oil.

Currently it does 550-570kms in town 40L tank.

Has not changed glow plugs for few years I think.

What if i change them, would it increase my fuel efficiency?

On some diesel vehicles glow plugs continue to work for a few minutes after starting when cold to help with complete combustion when cold. Incomplete combustion can produce smoke. If your glow plugs weren't working (they basically either work, or they don't) you would get very hard starting and rough running until the engine warms up (which I guess would transform into decreased fuel efficiency).

I'm no diesel engine expert but I would say it's a dribbling injector which when the engine is cold isn't allowing for complete combustion (and therefore white/grey smoke), but would otherwise be fine when warm.

Also, I'm glad you realised to post in the tech section this time. Perhaps me deleting your thread in general after telling you numerous times not to reminded you to do that.

I have a diesel car so can speak from experience..

Good glow plugs will help starting - If I don't glow mine till the light turns off it starts very smoky for a few seconds - however if I do glow the full amount it starts almost instantly and pumps out bugger all smoke..

One of the best ways to improve your fuel efficency on a diesel is to chuck in a new air filter (and a fuel filter wouldn't hurt) and also run through a couple of tanks of fuel with diesel injector cleaner added..

I can go the 320Km from Wellington to Napier and about 30 - 40Km of additional pissing around for a measly 20litres of fuel - admittedly mine is a Euro diesel which are renowned to be fuel misers.

The japanese diesels are less efficent but they seem to make more power.

On some diesel vehicles glow plugs continue to work for a few minutes after starting when cold to help with complete combustion when cold. Incomplete combustion can produce smoke. If your glow plugs weren't working (they basically either work, or they don't) you would get very hard starting and rough running until the engine warms up (which I guess would transform into decreased fuel efficiency).

I'm no diesel engine expert but I would say it's a dribbling injector which when the engine is cold isn't allowing for complete combustion (and therefore white/grey smoke), but would otherwise be fine when warm.

Also, I'm glad you realised to post in the tech section this time. Perhaps me deleting your thread in general after telling you numerous times not to reminded you to do that.

hahaha

Sorry, I didn't realize this is a tech issue. my bad :mrgreen:

I have a diesel car so can speak from experience..

Good glow plugs will help starting - If I don't glow mine till the light turns off it starts very smoky for a few seconds - however if I do glow the full amount it starts almost instantly and pumps out bugger all smoke..

One of the best ways to improve your fuel efficency on a diesel is to chuck in a new air filter (and a fuel filter wouldn't hurt) and also run through a couple of tanks of fuel with diesel injector cleaner added..

I can go the 320Km from Wellington to Napier and about 30 - 40Km of additional pissing around for a measly 20litres of fuel - admittedly mine is a Euro diesel which are renowned to be fuel misers.

The japanese diesels are less efficent but they seem to make more power.

Yeh, I had New air filter fitted last year and checked few times it is still like new. had new fuel filter put in beginning of this year too.

Will get some diesel injector celaner since SuperCheap Selling them 5 dollars for two :P .

I have heard 1C engine can do 16-18kms/L in highway. I think my one is just worn out and last few owners didn't take care of it.

Plus my engine has some kind of knocking noise when I go up hill with 2nd or 3rd gear high revs, so it's yeh probabaly not good, but I am sure it will still last for at least 100,000kms if i take care of it.

I get similar kms out our 1c Corolla with around the same mileage ( a clocked 260,000kms)around town driving and have been maintaining it pretty well since around 1997. I have never replaced glow plugs.

Only reason to do so is if it won't start cold, or starts with rough running and heaps of black smoke.

There are no high revs in a diesel so your knock might be like a shift light....

I get similar kms out our 1c Corolla with around the same mileage ( a clocked 260,000kms)around town driving and have been maintaining it pretty well since around 1997. I have never replaced glow plugs.

Only reason to do so is if it won't start cold, or starts with rough running and heaps of black smoke.

There are no high revs in a diesel so your knock might be like a shift light....

Cool, good to know!

yeh, I get 30seconds rough running too. When you go steep uphill, 4th gear sometimes 3rd gear got no power at all, so i go 2nd/3rd gear. You are right if i don't push it hard it doesn't have any knocking noise, but so so slow... Therefore, AE86 turbo Fxxk Yeh.