Rear seat & belt removal - Legalities.

Vintage Grumble

I am having to get a MS licence for the car anyway as it is very so slight modified! I only have teh 2" harness set up as pictures so sounds like I should be fine once I get sorted. DOnt see why they cant be used on the road though, much safer than inertia belts? I am also using Sparco 2000 seats so hope I dont get hassle for these as well...!

What about rear belts for my Mk1 then? Is 1973 fine without them? Fingers crossed!

Cheers all

I only have teh 2" harness set up as pictures so sounds like I should be fine once I get sorted. DOnt see why they cant be used on the road though, much safer than inertia belts? I am also using Sparco 2000 seats so hope I dont get hassle for these as well...!

Cheers all

So far as I recall it's to do with not being able to lean forward to see at tricky intersections and when checking your blind spot.

However the cops who gave me a $150 ticket for failing to wear a seatbelt when I was using my harness rather than the factory fitted one said it was fine to use both, but you have to use the factory one.

Bit bizarre really.

I only have teh 2" harness set up as pictures so sounds like I should be fine once I get sorted. DOnt see why they cant be used on the road though, much safer than inertia belts? I am also using Sparco 2000 seats so hope I dont get hassle for these as well...!

Cheers all

So far as I recall it's to do with not being able to lean forward to see at tricky intersections and when checking your blind spot.

However the cops who gave me a $150 ticket for failing to wear a seatbelt when I was using my harness rather than the factory fitted one said it was fine to use both, but you have to use the factory one.

Bit bizarre really.

thats pretty balls. you can lean forward maybe half a meter? whats the bonnet length difference between say a smart car and a 1970 chrysler new yorker or something? 3m probably. if its a race car with an authority card and it only has harnesses and no retracting belts thats ok. but I guess this is probably the key, having the authority card....and they could probably still ping you if you were not driving to an event/garage and they were being total arseholes. although I would hope at worst they would just tell you to take it home immediately or something.

you know I wouldn't be surprised if half the confusion surrounding seatbelts is to do with the updated VIRM as of April this year. Perhaps a GC like Clint/cletus may be able to clarify.

i also know for a fact the front seatbelts in the RX had to be replaced with brand new ones as they no longer met some new fangled retraction requirement, compared to when my Skyline went through compliance a couple of years back, the front belts were still fine even though they were the OEM ones from 1983.

thats pretty balls. you can lean forward maybe half a meter? whats the bonnet length difference between say a smart car and a 1970 chrysler new yorker or something? 3m probably. if its a race car with an authority card and it only has harnesses and no retracting belts thats ok. but I guess this is probably the key, having the authority card....and they could probably still ping you if you were not driving to an event/garage and they were being total arseholes. although I would hope at worst they would just tell you to take it home immediately or something.

Since when does it being law mean it has to make any kind of sense?

I thought an authority card enabled you to drive the car wherever/whenever you liked, not just too and from events? ie: you could use your racecar as your daily if you were suitably masochistic?

Sounds like I am going to have some fun getting this car through on more than one front in the end. Even with my card! But it will be worth doing in the long run. I just want to be able to use the car on the road when ever I like so may have to rig up some for of inertia system in there. Pain in teh arse but if its needed.

Then try get the Mk1 through with no rear belts! Its going to be bad enough fitting a high level brake light...ouch!

Cheers for the input all

Dave...

Since when does it being law mean it has to make any kind of sense?

I thought an authority card enabled you to drive the car wherever/whenever you liked, not just too and from events? ie: you could use your racecar as your daily if you were suitably masochistic?

it can extempt you from certain wof requirements e.g. modified dash, harnesses etc. but is really meant for events where you have to drive on public roads e.g. rallying. but in reality I think it depends on how extreme the car is and what the authority card is for. if the car still has interior and a low key cage you would probably be ok. but if its fully stripped out, noisy as shit, no real dash etc. then you could conceiveably get pulled up and read the riot act if you were crusing around on a saturday night/getting your grocerys with nana on a monday morning. but as I said you would probably just get told to take it home (provided you weren't pulled up for a driving offence).

But if you drive sensibly and the exterior of the car doesnt look dodgey to police you could probably drive for years and not get pulled up even in a stripped out race car if it wasn't too noisy.

mexico007.jpg

Kdl012.jpg

Pretty well stripped out mate, but it wont be that loud as I have two boxes in the system. Its by no means a street car, but will still be good to use it as one when the ood takes me. Does being 42 count for anything also? Just a big kid at heart but look an old fart on the outside!! ;)

Exterior of teh car looks pretty bog standard. Even the arches got strecthed and rolled by 1" either side, but internally so it looks stock from outside.

Should be fine if I can get a WOF!!

Cheers...

my understanding was if you had front hoops/full cage then you have to wear harnessess and pad the the cage with special roll cage foam padding as you could hit your head on them if not harnessed in w/o a helmet. Those things require authority card for wof exemption unless you have some super sweet/dodgey wof dude.

if you have an auth card/wof and take it for a mild sunday blat down a couple of back roads or down for coffee by the waterfront or whatever I can't see it being a worry. you would have to come across a real arsehole of a cop or have done something bad anyway. and well you can get that in any car on any day if your luck is bad enough.

the dash thing is more on modern cars where maybe stuff was padded or had airbags etc. and you have removed the plastic dash and put in a sheetmetal one or something.

best thing is probably to get the Schedule A regs off the MSNZ website and then tell me all the wrong advice I have just given you from my dodgey recollection of reading Sch A a year ago. :wink:

or for that matter wheres markku/truenotch he probably knows this stuff.

• 3 months later...
Sounds like I am going to have some fun getting this car through on more than one front in the end. Even with my card! But it will be worth doing in the long run. I just want to be able to use the car on the road when ever I like so may have to rig up some for of inertia system in there. Pain in teh arse but if its needed.

Then try get the Mk1 through with no rear belts! Its going to be bad enough fitting a high level brake light...ouch!

Cheers for the input all

Dave...

Dont worry about rear seat belts for the mk1, cars older than 1979 dont need to have them, took a passenger in the back of the cortina the other day and relised it didnt have any rear belts!