what motors bolt straight into 1983 toyota crown

crown_down

The 5meu is around 160hp, maybe a bit less depending on the model. The twincam version 5mgeu is 170hp .

Im not sure if it will bolt up but a 7mgeu could be an option. Reasonably easy to find and good for 200hp.

^ crown has a full chassis and they are all the same. Engines in crowns have a unique mid sump arrangement so its usually easier to find an engine from a crown to start with

The easiest swap would be to a 5mge (6mge if you can find one), they go a soo much better than a 5meu will ever go. You can pretty much pick up a 5mge for beer money, there's plenty around in 70 series cressidas. 7MGE's are dogs I would avoid them, you wont find many around that arn't fucked :D

Any of the G series engines will bolt in if you find the correct mounts, so 1ggze and 1ggte could be options.

If you can fab engine mounts a 1jzge or 2jzge would be my preffered option, if you find one from a crown it will go in piece of piss

Depending on how soon ya want an engine, I have a 5MGE in my crown that I will be replacing soon. It's a bit tired, burns a little bit of oil, but still runs sweet.

Although the engine will bolt straight to factory engine mounts, and up to your current gearbox, there's still a lot of other things to take into account.

Have a look at my build thread to get an idea of what you'll need to do. Because you already have a 5M in there, certain things will be easier ie factory throttle cable will probably still work, whereas I had to convert mine from linkage to cable, heater pipes may need to be rerouted, and then you have the wiring and fuel.

At least you won't need to start from scratch with the wiring, but I don't know how interchangeable it is between the two engines so you may still need to mess around with that to get everything operational. Fortunately, you shouldn't have to touch the fuel system. Maybe upgrade the fuel pump just in case though.

A general rule with engine conversions however, estimate how much you think it's gonna cost, then multiply by 4. Even for a straight "bolt in" job you'll find costs you never expected.\

Also,

Got some spare front hubs?

^ I agree, his will be allot easier than yours as you said as its already EFI. The only thing to watch is you get the Auto control ECU when you get your 5mge otherwise you wont change gears. All up its only really about 5 wires that will need splicing to get it going, fuel pump will do the job no worries, the existing lines will bolt onto the fuel rail. Drive shaft will be the same. Out of every bolt in conversion the 5/6mge is by far the easiest