Head leaking oil

shavenYak

So a while back I got a new head gasket for the Subaru to replace the blown one. I never checked the head for flatness since I didn't think it got that hot and also because the heads only like 8 inches long (2 cylinder) and I didn't think it would warp easily.

After scraping the block and the head clean and fitting the new gasket and torquing down as per manual, after starting it leaks oil from the rear of the head. I torqued down a little more and it improved slightly, but still leaks pretty heavily when the engine's on.

It's been sitting like that now for a few months and today I was going to pull the head off again and take it in to be machined. Would it be possible to reuse the head gasket? It's not a metal one, it's the grey papery shit, so I guess it depends on if it comes off cleanly and doesn't crack?

I really don't want to have to get another one sent over from aussie, but I need this car going so I can sell it and get something else!!

any suggestions or ideas?

I've reused steel gaskets before and they have been o.k. That said Im yet to see a paper gasket that I would reuse and, correct me if Im worng its been a while since I do a head on a subaru, since you have to pull the motor out, I think, to do the head and with the damage it would cause if it blow again I would replace it with a new one for peace of mind. Trade me has gaskets for cheaper than I can get the from work so try there.

Started pulling the manifolds off the head before taking the head off, and realised it might be the intake gasket that's leaking?

here's a view of the back of the head (intake) where you can see the pool of oil on the block, and the intake port. I wish I had of thought of this earlier so I could have felt around just under the oil galleries (?) to see if that's where it was dripping from.

IMG_8087Medium.jpg

Intake manifold:

IMG_8084Medium.jpg

So I guess I'll hunt around for a gasket, or get some paper and make one up myself. Should probably try that first before taking the head off, cause no doubt I won't be able to reuse the head gasket.

I am yet to see an inlet manifold that has high pressure oil passing through it and that one sure as heck doesn't.

Pushrod motor?

What are the two galleries each side of the head inlet tract? Are they connected to the pushrod holes and therefore get low pressure oil or are they for coolant?

Keep looking. There will probably be a single oil feed hole in the block to the head for the valve gear. If you put the headgasket on upside down that could explain your problem. The only other source of oil passing the HG would probably be gravity feed drains - but I don't know these motors at all.

Nah it's OHC, and those two galleries are for oil, but the manifold just serves to blank them off, which is weird.

The square hole above the intake tract is for coolant.

The oil pressure inside the head would be quite low wouldn't it? I guess it's quite unlikely that this is the source of the leak, since it only started happening (I think) after I changed the H.G. I was thinking that maybe the B.H.G symptoms were infact not the head gasket at all, but the intake gasket letting water in to the intake?

Kinda grasping at straws but I'm just really reluctant to take the head off again.

• 2 weeks later...

So made up a new intake gasket, put it on last night and this morning I poured some nice black oil back into the engine.

Started leaking from the head straight away, before I even started the car - so that's a pretty decent leak..

IMG_8123Medium.jpg

So I guess the next step is to get hold of another head gasket, get the head machined and reassemble?

Plan B: SCRAP IT!!!

Plan C: Anyone want to make an offer on a nice little car? One small oil leak.

Mods: This thread could be merged with my discussion thread really. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20792

^^ it's not coming from that inlet manifold - it's definitely the head gasket leaking. I would say that aftermarket head gasket didn't line all the holes up correctly, wasn't there some initial overlap you were concerned about when putting the head back on?

yeah for it to be leaking that much it must be that, right? It wouldn't leak that fast if it was just a case of the head being warped? - don't see why it would warp really since it didn't overheat.

Old vs. new gasket. shape is a little different in places but should be ok I think..

img6445medium.jpg

my words coming back to haunt me..

spose I'll take the head off and have a closer look at what doesn't line up properly. Chances of reusing headgasket?

Plus the oil contamination from the leaking parts wont seal again.

Yeah I think you just cracked it Phil, probably should have mentioned that I may have got a bit of oil on it while I was installing it.. I wiped it off best I could but kinda just hoped it would still seal. Live and learn I guess.

Anyone going to/coming back from aussie soon like to stop in at Supercheap and pick up another head gasket for me?

I think that when you take the head off you will see what went wrong.

I doubt machining the mating surfaces is required to fix the problem. The gasket being wrong, upside down or a stray washer could be culprits. I also reckon you should take the head off now and look at the gasket to see if is possibly re-useable. You have nothing to lose