1984 Bluebird sr18 or 20 de or det engine conversion

radman

Sup ppl, its been effin ages since i posted somthing on here but im looking at getting a project vehicle to have a bit of fun in, you know car club, ss2000 series, bit of rally somthing thats a bit of an alrounder.

Im just looking whats out there and thought and oldschool bluebird with a more modern sr range engine dropped in it would be mean.

have any of you guys done somthing like this, know what to expect, what im gonna need to change...mounts etc, g/box set up basically any info would be great, even a link to a similar project....

my budget aint big at all so it'll be a long term sorta project over a year i reckon

just as another thought is there any engine & g/box combination that would bolt right in with little to no effort.....

Im open to suggestions about any other sort of car/engine combinations i should look into. Im looking at starting somthing in the next 3-6 months so at the moment looking at finalising the type of car im gonna start with. would prefer to go old school i find the more modern things boring as hell, and i drive 08 corrolla anyway so im pritty set in the plain boring dept.

I'd agree with above to a certain extent, you'd need to be willing to spend up to and over this amount in years to come but I don't think you need to poor anything near that into a car to get it out onto the track.

A similar question to this was asked recently, not sure if you have seen the thread but it may offer some insight;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22445

If you are going to be slowly building the car up over time it might be a good idea to start off with some trackdays, then move up into club racing, dual sprints and the like before making the jump to SS2000 or a similar series.

On the Bluebird side of things and as mentioned above, a user on here mongol, may be able to help. Although I don't think the conversion was done by him, I think it is a relatively straight forward swap - this being the CA18DE.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9631

Also, from speaking to some guys that are in SS2000, they consider the best engine configuration to be the 1800 turbo. This is largely due to the extra weight penalty imposed for a 2litre turbo configuration, which is somewhere around the 1140kg mark, where as I think the 1800 turbo weight minimum is around 980kg, which should be obtainable in a 910. This backs up the idea of going with a CA18DET if you had something like that in mind.

head over to here mate....

have a wee looksy..

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/index.php

you dont want a time bomb of an engine, a stock motor will do the trick for an all rounder.

write a list of what you want to do to it

seats

cage

belts

suspension

brakes

engine

exhaust

fuel system

cert msnz authority card

club membership

motorsport licence

write these down on paper and put next to it the amount you can budget for on each, then you will get your total figure, ask round and get quotes for the parts etc, allow a bit extra on top of each figure...

then number them 1- whatever in order of preference/must have first etc..

then you can work out what you can do to it as you can afford it.

then get yourself a 1B4 notebook and make a plan, allow a few pages for each item ie engine, the write down what you plan to do, stock/modded, draw diagrams if you need to, keep adding info if think of something..

once youve got some kind of plan you can start your project...the plan and book will help having to undo previous work cos you wouldve decided what you want to do and just get in and do it..

when i built my stockcar i filled a 1B4 with info,plans and diagrams,they all worked out and i came in on budget, well pretty close, theres always expenses like hose clamps,cable ties,fluids etc...

well thats my advice, take it or leave it,just thought id share

This is similar to a post i made as quoted by Mikuni Seems alot of people say it very expensive to go racing.

My question is, does it have to be ? Dor example. couldnt i go buy myself a $2500 car and go racing ? Is it compulsory to have race seats and a cage ?

Cheers

no it does not have to be expensive....

just get a car, join a club,get a motorsport nz manual, pay ya licence etc, race gear and go racing...

there are classes where you dont need a cage.

do bent sprints etc....build it slowly as you up skill...

That makes more sense to me. Ive got myself a vehicle now. Will go to a few events to get some ideas. At this stage ill just strip my beast out and make it light as possible. Give it some lowerage with a nice set of deep dish 15" Stick a pod filter on it and go racing.

This is similar to a post i made as quoted by Mikuni Seems alot of people say it very expensive to go racing.

My question is, does it have to be ? Dor example. couldnt i go buy myself a $2500 car and go racing ? Is it compulsory to have race seats and a cage ?

Cheers

I think you missed the point a little. What we were trying to get at in that thread was that it can be expensive, but not necersarily. Trackday is almost zero cost and any car, but its not technically racing. Still a good entry point. The dual sprint stuff that a few of us were pushing doesn't require a cage either, but does a clubsport license. Still very cheap to enter. I still don't really consider this "racing" in a conventional sense of the word and neither does msnz because I'm pretty certain that any multicar racing event, ie not dual sprint or time attack does require a cage, which is additional cost. Even still, an entry level cage can be had for sub $1000 with homologation etc. It won't be the best or the prettiest thing in the world, and won't stiffen up the chassis much, but it will provide safety to the required level for homologation for msnz events.

I definatly think i'll get somthing to work on as my driving skills imporve. I may even join the car club anyway and do a couple of events or whatever in the my daily just to get some adrenaline running through my vanes....