Car not starting?

droppdkp

Hey there, I have a 1989 daihatsu charade that just doesnt want to start.

I blew the head about 6 weeks ago, and throughout the last week and a half have started putting the motor back to pieces.

I replaced the head, and all gaskets, waterpump, cambelt etc etc. And it didnt start up, which was the fuel pump.

New fuel pump in, and it still doesn t want to start.

Im getting spark, fuel is getting to carb, its turning over sweet, but cant get over the last hurdle and start?

Ive had a fiddle with the dizzy, and cleaned all the grounds, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Hey there, I have a 1989 daihatsu charade that just doesnt want to start.

I blew the head about 6 weeks ago, and throughout the last week and a half have started putting the motor back to pieces.

I replaced the head, and all gaskets, waterpump, cambelt etc etc. And it didnt start up, which was the fuel pump.

New fuel pump in, and it still doesn t want to start.

Im getting spark, fuel is getting to carb, its turning over sweet, but cant get over the last hurdle and start?

Ive had a fiddle with the dizzy, and cleaned all the grounds, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Cam timing?

Timing is right, theres definately fuel getting to the plugs.

I'm thinking I'm gunna nick a bigger battery off my other car and see if that gives it a better spark?

Also, I'm a complete noob with anything mechanical, but the flap on teh carb is just sitting in one spot, not moving when pumping the accelerator, what does this mean?

Timing is right, theres definately fuel getting to the plugs.

I'm thinking I'm gunna nick a bigger battery off my other car and see if that gives it a better spark?

Also, I'm a complete noob with anything mechanical, but the flap on teh carb is just sitting in one spot, not moving when pumping the accelerator, what does this mean?

Is the accelerator cable connected? How big is this "flap" that wont move? If it's the only/main hole heading down the carb then that is your main throttle butterfly. Test it by opening it up and then try to start it... You may not be getting air into the mix. Then if that's the problem, figure out what you need to connect between the pedal and the carb.

3 cylinder motor, I got a mechanic cousin to help me time it, cause I didn't wana fuck the valves up.

He left before I put in the new fuel pump, so just trying to eliminate things really.

It was rebuild well, plus even if it was low on compression it would still start? Just run really ruff?

Iv borrowed some CRC carb cleaner and engine start, going to clean plugs tommorow and try on a freshly charged battery.

Arghhhhhh