What oil do you use and why?

EFI_LC

Well if you talk to race drivers and teams in the know you will find that it is often refered to as liquid horsepower.

I have seen independant dyno graphs of the same weight oil returning very different HP figures and I am not talking about super high HP motors, one that comes to mind was the Australian 253 V8 which is used as a control engine in the Commodore Cup and the increase in HP was 20hp from 260 to 280 over another leading brand and more on others.

From the research I have done the properties in the various oils vary greatly, this is why some car manufacturers recommend certain brand of oils.

Now when I think of my engine I make similar HP and for say $20-$50 difference for one brand of oil to gain 20hp I would be right into that.

i think that was a very good test, only thing that let it down was that they didnt have a control test with the org oil that the car ( both the evo and holden ) had in themt o begin with

edit

i typed a massive rant but really cant be fucked causing an agrument so i have deleted it

EFI_LC

my advice to you would be if your concered in any way shape or form about the oil you are using ( wanting to use for that matter ) is do any given amount of km's and go get an inderpendent oil test

from this they will be able to tell you how the oil is breaking down, what exactly its doing and if your engine is playing up etc

cost's about $30 and any major oil company in nz can/will be able to do this for you

the nulon definitely made a difference in the evo, but apart from that the results for both the evo and the HSV were all within about 2% of eachother - which has to be within the margin of error for this kind of test.

you can definitely make more power from an engine by running a thinner oil, at the expense of oil pressure. additive packages between different brands can make some difference but pretty much as shown in those videos it's not typically a huge amount + how many other factors there are e.g. how hot the car was, air pressure, temperature, humidity and more.

it's one of those things if you are chasing every last kw, you might try different stuff - but it all depends on the engine too, a 202 probably has a different ideal oil to a Hemi or a 4G63 or a rotary etc. etc.

While on the talk of oil.

My car is due for its next oil change, well a little of due to be honest.

Is there a product I can chuck in there before the oil change that will help clean up the internals?

Im sure its been mentioned before, but just wanted to check.

Chur

While on the talk of oil.

My car is due for its next oil change, well a little of due to be honest.

Is there a product I can chuck in there before the oil change that will help clean up the internals?

Im sure its been mentioned before, but just wanted to check.

Chur

Kerosene or one of those engine flush treatments from ripco etc

I mate just sprayed a couple of cans of supercheap degreaser down there gave it a good run then changed the oil and reckoned it worked a treat. but it was a soon to be worth more than ae86 flipup headlight prelude so he was really worried about the consequences.

alot of people swear by diesel engine oil for cleaning out shit, but I've also read other people saying that its crock too. you can also get flushing oils that are really thin and you just run them free revving the engine with no load then change.

how bad is it really? could change the oil and give it a good italian tune up.