compression test...?

ms53_wagon

Hey,

easy one here hopefully:

was going to do a compression test on the van. but ran into a small issue that im not sure what to do about..

When i crank the engine the compression rises on the gauge and levels off at a value (cant remember what it was right now), but then - if i re-crank the engine it will jump up again on the first compression stroke, and again if i re-crank it.

Its an 8 spark engine and i was doing it on the exhaust side but i didnt think this would matter?

do i just compare the values i get from the first continuous crank till it levels off?

Cheers

Dan

My technique for compression test is this.

1 - Get engine up to operating temp

2 - Crack off spark plugs a quarter turn each

3 - Run engine for 30 seconds at around 2-3000rpm

4 - Remove the plugs (being an 8 plug you will need to leave 1 plug in per cylinder)

5 - Disconnect the distributor to eliminate the spark

6 - Jam the throttle wide open (have someone sit in the car) and make sure the throttle stays WOT until the entire test is complete (opening and closing the throttle between compression checks causes bore wash and can alter the compression from first to last)

7 - Start on number 1 and thread the compression tester in till it is firmly seated

8 - Crank Engine over so the engine turns over 20 times (10 compression strokes)

9 - Write down the result from the gauge (generally between 100-180psi) for each cylinder

10 - Back to stage 7 but move to next cylinder and continue

11 - Compressions shouldn't alter more than 10% between worst and last (up to 20% at most)

cos of carbon buildup around the threads at the end of the spark plug, when you initially loosen the plugs it can be dislodged and get into the cylinder - if you don't burn it off by running the engine at a load - you can get bits of carbon jamming under the valve seats and giving a false compression reading..

Geez KKK thats some good info, does the tech section have a rolling delete like off topic or does it stick around - as it would be a shame to lose this/maybe I'll just write it down

Why would we delete tech threads? Theres 62 pages there that you can go back through, all great stuff and it dates back to the beginning of time. We may delete the occasion post about bum wee's though.

Test complete:

cylinder 1 = 190

cylinder 2 = 187

cylinder 3 = 185

cylinder 4 = 187

I think that is pretty good? all within about 3% of each other

What exactly is this telling me? cylinders and rings are good?, valves are in good condition etc?? headgasket is sweet?

Cheers