winch motor not working

peteretep

My dad has a quad bike with a winch on it, the winch stopped working after it pulled up the rope really tight(needed vicegrips to pull the rope out). The winch system has a solenoid type thing which tells the winch to go forward or reverse & it has an overtemperature cutout.

When everything is setup and you push the forward or reverse buttons, 12v is applied to the solenoid as you would expect, but the solenoid does not click or make any noise in either direction. It looked like the problem may be in this solenoid but I decided to put power on directly onto the winch terminals to see if that was buggered too.

I am not an expert on electric motors but I assumed that as there was only 2 terminals on the winch, that one acted as the earth while the other gave power, and I checked both terminals and they were contacting with earth. My dad also has a 6 wheel drive argo that has a plastic body(insulated) and that also has a winch which does not contact earth through the chassis so I think my theory is correct.

Anyhow I tested the motor and one side did nothing(no clicking or sparking) but the other side the jumper lead sparked & welded itself to the terminal, but still nothing happened. At this stage I thought that the motor was seized so I took the end off it and had a look, there is some corrosion appearing on the armatures but nothing too bad and they dont appear to be touching eachother, there is 4 brushes, and they all look to be ok but again there is some mild corrosion, the gaps dont look filled though.

So I took it apart, didnt see anything particularily wrong, turned a few things which moved ok, then put it back together, tried it again and now nothing happens at all when I apply power from the jumper leads, there appears to be no circuits at all.

Should there always be a circuit through the 2 terminals or from a terminal to the chassis?

What else can I do?

Measure resistance of motor with multimeter, both ways (just as reference and with nothing else connected)

See if there is power on the solenoid when you turn shit on/off.

See if there is power going to the motor at all

You could have killed the solenoild somehow and then when testing the motor, killed the motor (the welded on wire sounds a bit dodgy

Sounds like a winding in the motor has shorted, either to itself or the armature.

Metering stuff is ok but i like to take things apart if i have the time.

So yea, take it apart it should be fairly obvious what has gone wrong.

Giz a txt/call so i can hear your voice if you want some moral support