Rebuilt engine issues

Sorensin

I've just rebuilt a 1600 xflow, pretty much replaced everything that can be replaced and had most surfaces machined.

It has a lumpy cam so i expected to run ruff but it barely runs

It's ok at idle and low revs, runs like a dog and almost dies when the revs pic up a bit then seems to come better at higher revs.

We timed the car to old timing points then took to a mechanic who retimed the car at about 20degrees advanced, runs as stated above, dizzy has slight play but dont think this is the cause of the problem. Have a new 32/36 carb which I dont think was adjusted by mechanic, this could be the cause of my issues? but looking for other suggestions as I have some doubts the carb tuning is to blame.

Thanks

Using a 32/36 not suited to a 1600 engine?

3B and 5E are the only 32/36's suited to a 1600 engine

I went to webber spec and brought a brand new carb said what engine size and cam i was running and he gave me what i hope to be a carb to suit. Cars at parents but will try find which 32/26 it is when I go round there.

My gut feeling ( and I do have a large gut! ) is that it's a spark problem. The main reason for that being that the 'inappropriate' 32/36 carbs have idling problems, not higher up the rev range. It could be fuel starvation ( worst one of these I had was getting the feed/return lines the wrong way round on an rs2000 - it was the one on the left in my avatar ), so check the filters as well.

If you're running the original ignition, then try a few different capacitors ( after checking all the usual gaps ) - they can be buggered from new these days.

hth, Steve