tacho on a carby

m0ss4yy

what does wiring it to the negative on the coil do? does it just give off a voltage which the calibration of the tacho converts or something similar?

because i had one a while ago and it kept flickering up and down a bit.. may have been a shit gauge but there may be another reason?

*waiting for someone to come call my bullshit on how a tacho works

shhhh

but yea try dodgy connections first

should screw on to the negative ?

i wired it all myself and shit and the coil connection poles are pretty dirty (old build up of some crap).. whats the best for cleaning it hardout? then ill solder the wire and see what happens..

Tacho has ground on it normally but spikes up to 12V when a spark happens. This part has got some high voltage shit going down though so can peak up into hundreds of volts so be carefull what you connect to this. for example, most scopes will be very upset if you connect it to just about anything in the car.

Cars are the devil and you can find massive spikes both positive and negative.

It's the same.

If you've got an ignition problem then it can cause the tach needle to jump. You'll know of course because it will misfire at the same time.

If it's running properly and the needle jumps then it's probably just bad connections in the tach, as mentioned above.

Steve

you will get a better result with engine earth as engine and battery can differ in voltage. They aren't supposed to really but as i said earlier, car electrics are nasty things.

The ignition is in reference to the engine earth so i suggest using the engine earth. The closest to the dizzy, the better