backfiring, stalling, stumbling idle, over run...what is it?

Beaver

hey all.

my trusty 83 delica just surving the hell that is undie 500, and made the ctrip from chch to duniden and back with out any issues, but now has developed some nasty symptoms, and and hoping someone can give me an idea on what myt be causing them....

it has always had a shit idle, ie real grumpy and ranges jumps around a fair bit, almost spluttering. smells like its running rich but checked a plug and looked prety good, tried mixture screw (well at least i think it was) but to now avail. also, when taking foot of the go pedal it will often crackle pop and back fire (not once or twice but at random intervals, ie going down a hill it will do it again and again). also, it has uber over run, ie when i turn the key off it stumbles for 5-10 seconds then goes vroom and stops....i think its haunted

is there something that would be causing these all?>

cheers

I had this in my truck, real bad at times a while ago. I think I had mad crap in my fuel tank/filter/bowl and was stopping and starting fuel flow. Ended up cleaning out tank, blowing out lines and shit etc. Think that's how I fixed it. So yeah, do what ^he says and see if it helps.

Check your timing? Check dist cap isn't corroded up? Does the carb have a float bowl window at all? I'm calling fuel but it'd take 2 mins to check those anyway

I had this in my truck, real bad at times a while ago. I think I had mad crap in my fuel tank/filter/bowl and was stopping and starting fuel flow. Ended up cleaning out tank, blowing out lines and shit etc. Think that's how I fixed it. Check your timing? Check dist cap isn't corroded up? Does the carb have a float bowl window at all?

ive actually been meaning to chamge fuel filter as twice i have just lost power and it wont rev, but then after a moment or 7 it clears its self out and runs fine.

Over run is caused by hot stuff in the combustion chamber such as hot valves or hot carbon deposits. This hot stuff will also be causing early or late random misfires while running (preignition / pinking).

The hot stuff will be caused either by a too retarded ignition timing or a lean mixture.

So check your ignition timing or just mark it as is then try advancing it. You can always go back to that mark.

I would avoid stuffing with the mixture until you are sure the timing is correct.

I also found i got those symptom when using 91 Octance in a car setup for 96 Octance.

Over run is caused by hot stuff in the combustion chamber such as hot valves or hot carbon deposits. This hot stuff will also be causing early or late random misfires while running (preignition / pinking).

The hot stuff will be caused either by a too retarded ignition timing or a lean mixture.

So check your ignition timing or just mark it as is then try advancing it. You can always go back to that mark.

I would avoid stuffing with the mixture until you are sure the timing is correct.

I also found i got those symptom when using 91 Octance in a car setup for 96 Octance.

inconsistent fuel supply would cause lean conditions which leads to overrunning

• 2 weeks later...