4g63 balance shaft removal

rwdlancer

I looked at this once and it looked pretty simple (but I did not do it).

I think you can probably rattle off the pulleys, withdrawn the shafts, turn the bearings in the block to block off the oil gallerys and cap the ends with frost plugs.

You could possibly just leave the shafts sitting there if you didn't care about the extra weight.

Dunno. I didn't actually do it I just looked at an engine once

pretty easy enough, one the shaft driven off the oil pump you need to get a 4G61 oil pump drive (as they don't run balance shafts) or just grind down your balance shaft (either machine the weights off or grind it down to a stub completely), and the belt driven shaft can be pulled out and a welsh plug put in place where it enters the oil pump housing, and then take the balance shaft bearings out on both sides and put them back in rotated 90deg so it blocks off the oil feed holes.

you can pretty much get all these parts off a 4G61 as that engine essentially has a factory elimination 'kit'.

More info here - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html

*edit* beaten to it by UJ.. who would have thought he was a mitsi nerd.

if you cut oil pump shaft the oil gallery up the center either has to be welded up or threaded and pluged with a grub screw. i tiged mine up. a 35mm frost plug will fit the other shaft but same deal weld up is the best.

.. or you just pull the bearings out and re-insert them so they block up the oil gallery hole - that's exactly how it's done in the 4G61 from the factory.

The shafts have an oil feed going down them to supply the rear bearings, you can take the upper shaft out, and rotate the front bearing to block this one up. If you cut the lower one off behind the oil pump it'll piss oil out the back end. Thats where you need to weld up the hole, or put in a grub screw, or something to block it off anyway.