Panel Beating Q&A's

Vintage Grumble

Got a few questions for the proper panel beaters out there:

When you have patched a hole with new steel, do you etch primer the steel before you bog or is it better to bog straight onto the steel?

What brand/type of bog is best for finishing?

What tools are a must have to do a decent job of panel beating? Any hammers or dollies you can recommend?

Cheers.

Apologies for semi hijack but thought it might be worth while adding, I was searching old threads for brands for etch primer and bog over the weekend and found some contradictory stuff so also keen to find out.

If anyone can clarify the difference between etch and epoxy primer as well?

Always etch over bare metal and then bog, I like K&H Technique for a bog.

Can finish nicely with that bog in 320 grit.

Tool wise, its hard to know when to stop, as I was a restoration PB, i have shitloads. You probably wont want too much of to spend much unless your doing it often?

Those kits you get from repco etc with a few hammers and a few dollys are terrible. Get them for the dollys, linish them smooth, and throw the hammers away promptly.

Spent a bit on a nice hammer and you will have it for years. ie. 5392_1.JPG

Etch and Epoxy primer are the same thing. MUST USE 2K TYPE THAT SEALS BARE METAL.

etch primer is typically a single pack primer used to spray onto bare metal to help subsiquent coats adhere to the painted surface. pa10 etc

epoxy primer is a 2 pak primer that can be used as a DTM/direct to metal base coat as well.

different shit similar result

thats my take on it. no doubt I will be told its wrong in about 30 sec

EDIT: I was wrong before I even posted it. etch primers in a single pack work mean too. the shop that was gonna spray my car reccomended pa10 to use.

Thanks for all the info guys, very helpful. Gay thing is I got stuck into this last night and turns out rust is pretty damn bad, I dont have the tools or skills to sort this, and will prolly end up fucking it up, so am going to have to pay someone to do it. So looks like its gonna get panel and paint very soon. Will be nice to have it all one shade of blue :D Just sucks I will have to sell van or drum kit to pay for it :(