Running on 3 cylinders

DangerousPerson

Took my car to the garage yesterday to find out why it was running like shit, guy set the timing 'cos the dizzy came loose.

Started running bad when I was driving back from Hawkes Bay. Made a loud pop/bang (or pang) and slowed down a lot.

The guy in the garage was trying to tell me something about compression testing, valves something etc but I stopped listening hoping he was wrong.

When I got it home I tried taking one lead off at a time and found it was the 1st cylinder that's bung.

But what do I do? Is it worth doing it considering I will be replacing the engine in a few months? What can I expect to pay?

I really do need it and was meant to be driving back to the bay this weekend (which is postponed) but don't know where to start.

if you take off all the leads and crank it over, it'll speed up on the compression of cylinder 1 if there's a leak. If it sounds pretty regular, then that's ok. If the dizzy did come loose, then it may have damaged the cap in some way. Have a good look at that, try swapping plugs, leads etc to see if the problem moves.

Should get you some more idea of what's wrong (:

I replaced the plugs, leads and dizzy cap just over 2 months ago so I shouldn't think anything would have gone wrong there?

Had a look anyway and they all seemed fine. took off the rocker cover and everything seemed to be moving fine. Really don't want to have to try and rebuild an engine with no garage to work in/keep the car in. Ahhhh.

Never assume anything with an old car. Id the dizzy's worn, then it may have stuffed the cap. All it takes is a single stone chip to crack it. And i's an easy check to see what the compression's like. Mind you I ran an RS2 with a bent valve for years so I expect it's electrical or catastrophic valve failure.

havn't just popped the rocker off the valve have you,

that makes a bloody noise with a stray pushrod bouncing around in there,

happened in my chevette tappets were noisy then fuckin rattly and running on 3,

easy side of the road fix though if you car an old car toolbox (big full one)

Too drunk for this shit. MMmmmmmmmmmmmm fuck Lonely Drinking Hearts Club. Going to ship it to Christchurch I think and found a A12 engine on Trademe with gearbox etc and all ancillary shit just put that in not worry about this carry on but will fuck with it just for a bit of an experience and get to fiddle with something that I don't care if/most definitely will break in the process.

a12 is a great choice over the little flat head bro,

buy a haines and read that stz though as they are super simple

and an easy motor to come to grips with,

drinkin alone probably is not a good use of car money though there fella,

a 4age would be a brilliant sleeper in a moggy and not all that more expensive,