shortening irs axles????

shizzl

hey guys...

wanna know what the guff is on shortening IRS rear end axles..

does anyone know of any places in chch that can shorten one axle and lengthen another???

had a thought to run a independent rear end in my new stockcar,most likely using a

skyline/supra/rx7 diff,whichever will be stronger..

will make my own A arms etc.solid mounted diff head would be good for the driveshaft as itll be real short,like a foot long so dont want it to move up and down much,and itll allow for my seat to sit lower due to the diff head not having to move upwards at all..

plus id be able to crank in camber if needed..sure itll be weaker than a solid diff,but much easier in the end....

MACKAZ i expect to hear some feedback on your thoughts :twisted:

you may have to make new, or get new made, you'll PROBABLY find that the axles are a bigger diameter where the splines are than where you'd end up needing the splines to be unless you found different outer CV's with a smaller spline diameter, they'd be weaker though. also the hardness of standerd axles MAY be an issue depending on how whatever company made them but really i have no idea, they may be fairly normal as it would be cheaper etc

i'd look into getting some made as you can use better material and do better strengthening if thats something you deem necessary, can also get any spline count/CV on the outer side that you want, if you wanted to run a particular hub or brake setup

He'ds always super busy, but seeing as to how you're talking so far into the future, he should be able to fit you in. (If he can be fucked that is) I don't know if he condone's welding of axles, but it's fuck all to make new ones really. By all means get a price from circle track, my mate might not be cheaper. He was charging $300 for CV axles for a datsun 510/610 etc. But we did a deal where I helped him do his driveway.

MACKAZ i expect to hear some feedback on your thoughts :twisted:

Lol. Have seen it done using 7 series BMW (3.9 ratio iirc)stuff. Quite frankly the guy who built it now runs Hilux diffs......Was not a resounding success as this gent thought it was going to be, also RX7 and the like I would imagine the ratios would be too high (you really want a maximum of a 4.3 but Ive used 4.55 and 5.2 before)for dirt work, if you got it right you'd have to run 13s for third or high profile 16s for 2nd. IMO not worth the effort.....

Also weight factor to consider, the BMW setup Glen ran weighed MORE than a Hilux diff once he built strong enough arms that wouldnt break all the time....