Changing to A Bigger Cam

NewGuy

Ok so maybe you guys will tell me to GTFO

But i am looking at getting a cam re profiled to make the car run better idle wise and power wise, giving it a longer duration and timing.

I was just wondering after i have had the came re profiled and i am read to to put in on the car.

How do i go about it?

Can i just pull the old cam off put the Sprocket on its holder and lay the new one in and bolt it up the same way the old one came out?

Bit of a noob but i haven't done alot in the area

Please help and give me some sort of idea?

there would be timing marks on the sprocket / cam somewhere

install them in the same place that the other one was when you removed it

-probably want to slam some grease on it when you install it

then runt the engine over by hand to make sure its not gona slam /fist your valves through the piston top

then runt the engine over by hand to make sure its not gona slam /fist your valves through the piston top

Soundz pretty straight forward

Soundz pretty straight forward

Yeah it always does :P

Wouldnt you have to dial it back in? Or am I full of shit?

You want the followors matched to the cam.. Get the person who grinds the cam to do the followers also.

use engine assembly lube or proper cam lube from kelford instead of grease. Use lube without (mobosomeshit ask KKK lol)

Gaz

just get your cam done by snow at kiwicams in palmy. tell him that you've got standard cam gears and see what he recommends you do, and do it as he is a camshaft god.

he'll sort your lifters and shit.

then jsut whack it in with assembly lube, shim the head up (easy) and bed the cam in as per his instruction

Is it overhead cam? Is it mechanical tappet? When you get a nice lumpy grind, the munch a buch of material off the heel of the cam shafts base circle. This means you will either need to regap your tappets, (Mechanical) or fit lash caps to your valves, or get longer push rods. Also when they grind it, the alter the the point in the camshafts rotation (number of degrees) where the valve will reach .050 lift. This means you'll need to "dial in the cam" so that the valve reaches 50 thou of lift at the number of segrees before or after TDC that you cam card (from the grinder specifes) If you run your cam a little bit retarded, then the engines powerband will be shifted further up the rev range. If your cam is advanced, the power will be lower in the rev range.

ALSO, forget about getting a smoother idle. A bad boy cam will make your idle shit. Thats the trade off for more grunt.

I was thinking about this today. You haven't mentioned the breed of your vehicle for said cam upgrade. Your sig reps triumph. IF you are talking about modding a triumph, I have some food for thought. A mate of mines old man is a triumph guru. He's been working on them forever. A regular customer of his has a really tidy Vitess. (spelling) He wanted more grunt, and talked about fiting a bigger cam. Mates dad said no way, want more go, fit a bigger engine. Customer ignored, got a bigger cam. paid some onkeys to fit it. They started the old girl up, and it broke a rocker arm. They replaced it, broke more. Replaced them, kept breaking them. Took it back to mates dad. Turns out that the extra lift was making the valves hit the block deck and breakoing the rocker arms. The fix was to strip the engine, and have deeper reliefs cut into the block deck. This was on a triumph 1.6ltr 6cly. But it's something to consider if your engine is over engineered, and under designed as a lot of pommy stuff was.