xsspeed's Landie

xsspeed

Copied over questions from other thread I made:

Its completely stripped and I was just wanting to hear from people who had dealt with them what things I should look out for while reassembling it.

I have both hardtop and softtop gear for it and can't decide which to roll with. Thoughts?

Apparently it has Range Rover running gear (diff's etc) so not too sure how this works at this stage. Not sure about the suspension. Is it common to replace the diff's with range ones?

It has the 4 pot deisel motor, (2.4l (?)) just wondering if its worth sticking with this to keep it reasonably original or should I wedge something else in to give it some more horses?

Besides the Chassis is everything pretty much aluminium? (Panels etc I mean)

Which bulkhead is Jay Gti talking about?

Also look out for bulkhead rust, hopefully already dealt with, but make sure any rustproofing is done especially well there, it's a pig to do to a complete Landie.

Pics for inspiration would also be wicked!

Chur!

Cheers boss!

Awesome step by step there, don't spose you have some key websites besides that one that I should browse?

I'm pretty sure I saw the bulkhead then in one of the pics, looked painted and tidy I think. Fuck I am gutted I wasnt there when the missus opened this container. Its the same one that had the maybe v8 in it too. Should have opened it back up when I got there!

Cheers boss!

Awesome step by step there, don't spose you have some key websites besides that one that I should browse?

I'm pretty sure I saw the bulkhead then in one of the pics, looked painted and tidy I think. Fuck I am gutted I wasnt there when the missus opened this container. Its the same one that had the maybe v8 in it too. Should have opened it back up when I got there!

Shit, I have to try and remember them, I was looking at getting a 90" Defender in the UK for middle of nowhere mountain bike mission transport, but that was about 3 years ago now... Did loads of research though, I'll see what I can dig up over the weekend. Also look out for Land Rover mags in some of the better magazine shops, there's 2 UK ones (Land Rover Monthy and Land Rover Owner) which are excellent and well worth getting a few issues of, if you can.

Certainly if the bulkhead is seperate and you can give it a good checking over before re-assembly, you're home and hosed. As you can see from those pics, to seperate that bulkhead out of a complete Landie would not be a quick Saturday job...

Yeah seen a few land rover owner mags, but at 20 odd bucks, I decided not to make a habit of buying them!

Yeah damn import mag prices... although I will be back in the UK in Jan, reckon I could bung you a few issues in the post after I've cover-to-cover'd them, rather than chucking them as my missus makes me do now (used to keep all my mags, until she got fed up with huge piles of old magazines everywhere).

that v8 looks to be p76 4.4 dude,

same waterpump as a buick/rover but wider block,

and definitely p76 tappet covers

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16203

Don't think it is a P76 bro, general consensus seems to be Chevy Diesel.

Was bored at work and spent hours trawling through google images, thought of the leyland 4.4 and nothing matched up on it.

If you look at that thread, follow the solid lines that run across the valve cover they appear to attach to a glowplug.

Yeah agree with kyteler there. While a p76 would be nice, It looks to similar to the chev diesel pic to rule it out. The oil lines, hoist bracket and oil filler look spot on.

Went on youtube and looked at some vids on these chev v8s, sound tough as!