turbo not spooling

might_e_mowse

Hey, i have a t3/t4 and it seems not to spool whatsoever.

When the car is off and i spin the compressor side it spins relatively freely, then when i turn the car on at idle it wont spin at all and when i try to spin in it it doesnt feel free at all, like its catching on something. If i raise the revs a little it will sometimes starts to rotate but if i give it a bit of help it will spin and remain spinning until i drop the revs back to idle.

I havent hardly driven it as i dont want to do any damage but there is definitely oil going through the turbo and all the i/c lines are plumbed up without leaks.

Im no turbo guru but shouldnt it spin, even very slowly, at idle?

The turbo is second hand from a trustworthy seller and has very little kms on it.

Any help appreciated :?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

weird why it wont spin with the motor running yet it spins if the motor is not running - only difference would be oil pressure going through the turbo, heat and possibly vibration.

maybe some turbo gurus here can shed some light on this

weird why it wont spin with the motor running yet it spins if the motor is not running - only difference would be oil pressure going through the turbo, heat and possibly vibration.

maybe some turbo gurus here can shed some light on this

Yeh i thought it was sumthing to do with the oil pressure as well and spent about an hour making sure there was oil flowing, but the old owner had same engine, oil lines, turbo, manifold etc and it supposedly ran fine the day before it came out.

Yet another problem that doesn't exist.

Most turbos don't actually spin at idle. Most people don't know that. Idle being 750 ish revs, running properly , warmed up etc. Again most turbos, you'll notice them starting to rotate at maybe 1000 to 1200 rpms but then only slowish. They need full throttle.

Steve

hmm im still not too sure, i have taken it for a drive and it only boosted about 1psi im assuming as i could only just hear the bov go and had no pull at all.

But something i just realised is that it was twin turbo so i have just plugged up one oil feed and one oil return, will this cause the oil pressure to rise too high? maybe the oil pressure being higher gives it more resistance to spin at idle. If so could i just change the oil connections to a narrower hole limit the oil flow to the turbo a little more?

If your oil pressure was too high the oil would most likely bypass the seals and you would have smoke for africa. Have you go a boost gauge? Are you sure that there are no exhaust leaks or intake leaks? Do the turbine and compressor wheels spin in unison, ie are they both attached to the shaft?

If your oil pressure was too high the oil would most likely bypass the seals and you would have smoke for africa. Have you go a boost gauge? Are you sure that there are no exhaust leaks or intake leaks? Do the turbine and compressor wheels spin in unison, ie are they both attached to the shaft?

as stupid as that may sounds ive had it happen before :lol:

Yeh i have a boost gauge but not hooked up yet, i will 2moro and see what it reads. But yeh its not smokey at all. Nope no exhaust or intake leaks. Im not sure whether the turbine and compessor wheel spin in unison now but they did 2 weeks ago before i got the exhaust plumbed up. Surely it would be a hell of a mission for the compressor and turbine to dislodge themselves from the shaft right?

Yeh i have a boost gauge but not hooked up yet, i will 2moro and see what it reads. But yeh its not smokey at all. Nope no exhaust or intake leaks. Im not sure whether the turbine and compessor wheel spin in unison now but they did 2 weeks ago before i got the exhaust plumbed up. Surely it would be a hell of a mission for the compressor and turbine to dislodge themselves from the shaft right?

when they do you know about it , especially with the speeds they spin at , and the compressor nut is a left hand thred anyhow which prevents such things happening .. but it still does either way you will know cos ittl whine like a bitch when it does spool up

so is it normal to feel more resistance in the shaft when the engine is running?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

i dont know about this cos even the turbo on trucks spin at idle and they are big motherfuckers, but they duty cycle is completly diff

well are you spinning it the way the turbo normally would or against ??? , i cant really see any reason for resistance to pick up a hell of alaot cos number one you should have oil in it already , and number two most turbos ive looked at *and ive seen a fuckload* the oil is generally squirted onto it and not fed into the bearings so it sholdnt make much of a difference

so is it normal to feel more resistance in the shaft when the engine is running?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

i dont know about this cos even the turbo on trucks spin at idle and they are big motherfuckers, but they duty cycle is completly diff

well are you spinning it the way the turbo normally would or against ??? , i cant really see any reason for resistance to pick up a hell of alaot cos number one you should have oil in it already , and number two most turbos ive looked at *and ive seen a fuckload* the oil is generally squirted onto it and not fed into the bearings so it sholdnt make much of a difference

Im spinning it the right direction (clockwise).

Yeh if anythin i would have thought that the resistance would decrease with the engine running but it has noticably more resistance.

The more i look into this the more i think i was jus too much of a bitch when i drove it but im sure i took the revs up to at least 5000rpm (no tach) with no boost response.

111708125132ue9.th.jpgthpix.gif

Well here is a pic to give you an idea, you can see where the oil line goes into the side of the head, just further back is the other oil outlet which i have blocked up. Oh and take no notice of the blocked hose coming out of the top of the wastegate, that was a mates failed idea and has been since removed.

have you tried holding it at high idle and such?? somehting is either terribly wrong or something so stupidly simple has been overlooked

and cos im not there and i havent run across this problem before i cant help a great deal sorry

Nah cheers mongol, yeh ive tried holding the throttle open a bit. Im hoping something stupid has been overlooked, but it looks like ill be taking it all apart (AGAIN!) and slowly ticking things off that it cant be.