Stretch-friendly tyre fitters in Hamilton

fuel

So I went to have a 165 tyre stretched over my 7" rim today but the guy who was going to do it at Tyrepower was away getting his tooth pulled out, and his colleage and his old codger mate gave me a big lecture on how 165 tyres will be unsafe on a 7" rim and that I should be putting 195 minimum on it, preferably 215s etc etc. They just didn't even want to understand what I was trying to acheive.

Anyway, if the guy who is doing it for me doesn't come back to work tomorrow is there anywhere else in Hamilton who could fit the tyre for me? It's just a test tyre to see how it all fits up and looks on the Viva before I end up ordering a whole set of them.

Cheers,

angry Phil

it was Simon who said 165s were too small for the rim, and the old codger was some customer who went on about when he was fitting truck tyres to 7.5" rims he would use 225s etc.

It was Travis who I've usually been dealing with (although I've previously bought 2 sets of tyres from Simon) who was more than happy to do the stretch, and more importantly he understood and knew what I was on about and was going on about how hot it would look etc.

Just got a text from Simon, he said he has fitted a 185/65 on it to see what it would look like (without me asking him to..) and he says a 175 would be the smallest he would fit. Trouble is 175/60s are non-existant, and I'm sure as hell not going any higher in profile (or way smaller in profile either).

Gah.. I just hope Travis is back tomorrow morning, time is running out.

Man that is stink.

As gay as it may seem, did you try Top Town or Magwarehouse? Only reason I ask, is because they will deal with drift guys all the time who are after the stretched look. And wouldnt think twice about the stretch.

There is a mechanic on Masters Ave, unsure if they have a tyre machine. But my sisters b/f is a mechanic there, should go hit him up. His name is Greg, say Rhys sent you to him because he was a GC.

oh true yeah Simon was a good cunt when I got my CF1s for my Galant, and T1Rs for the Eterna, but I guess not everyone shares the same views as us. He did say that he was willing to put 175s on so might be able to persuade him to do 165s, especially when I would be buying a whole set from him.

I'm going back there straight after work to have a look at this 185 balloon he's put on it, and to discuss further.

sorted, spence's mate got it seated within minutes with a proper bead blaster thing. my rims are meant to run tubes as they don't have the proper seat to seal tubeless tyre beads so may have to run tubes (which I now have).

now I just have to decide on tyre options and order first thing tomorrow morning, either 165/60, 165/65 or 175/60s.

nah viva's suspension can't possibly go low enough to make 175/50s look good in the guards (too much gap between tyre and guard), plus 175/50s aren't exactly cheap (150ish each), and lastly with only 4 gears it would be stupidly over-revving to maintain 100km on the open road.

nah viva's suspension can't possibly go low enough to make 175/50s look good in the guards (too much gap between tyre and guard), plus 175/50s aren't exactly cheap (150ish each), and lastly with only 4 gears it would be stupidly over-revving to maintain 100km on the open road.

all valid points. continue :lol: