Esprit's sexseige (newschoolspaceship)

Unclejake

it looks like the bearing has been chattering on the crank somehow.

detanation causes the rod to virbrate on the journal and in turn defeats the oil suspension

basically its like tapping on the babet with a hammer...hence why it delaminates :D

cavatation in hydraulic pumps and on boat props looks identical

cavatation is basically the reverse effect of detaination

Detonation doesn't seem to have been the issue here thankfully... the stock mapping is shocking but it errs on the side of being too rich rather than leaning out. The piston tops showed no evidence of anything untoward on the fuelling or timing leading to detonation. In the end, it matters not as the engine when rebuilt is getting run off an Emerald K3 ECU, which will be mapped appropriately once the engine's built and run in.

I used to work on at Ray Hartley Motors and we had a lot of MGF (with the same motor) - approx 1 BHG a week.... and we also had a handfull of S1 and a couple S2 Exige that came in also.. One S2 we fitted a full aftermarket kit to (including head, manifolds etc etc) They went well... Tis a shame the toyota engine in the newer model MGF doesn't bolt straight into an Elise... (edit - I wrote Exige... doh)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can get adapter looms for k3's for them ... cant with link

k3 ecu is equivilent to a g3 lem

a g4 storm is a big step up to it .... but still no k series loom adapter

k3 is about 2g nz landed

g4 is 1500 ish

you can get one of the new cut down motecs for the price of the k3 ... but then you have the increase cost of tuning etc

Wayne - In want to EAT YOUR BRAINS to gain your knowledge - fuck you know heaps as brew...

i could well be wrong as to why he wants one ...

could aso be to keep more value in the car .... lots more considerations with a "supercar" even if it is a rover :D

Going for the emerald purely because they do the job, do the job well and they're plug and play compatible with my loom. They're a known quantity and THE standard for tuned Lotuses in the UK so I won't be breaking any new ground with it. To my mind the Emerald will do way more than I'll ever want to do with it so why bother with anything else that'll be a bodge to fit?

I used to work on at Ray Hartley Motors and we had a lot of MGF (with the same motor) - approx 1 BHG a week.... and we also had a handfull of S1 and a couple S2 Exige that came in also.. One S2 we fitted a full aftermarket kit to (including head, manifolds etc etc) They went well... Tis a shame the toyota engine in the newer model MGF doesn't bolt straight into an Exige...

The MGF engine dos suffer a head gasket weakness, but this is now a known issue, the cause of which is thermal shock as dictated by the cooling system design. My Exige runs a different format cooling system to sidestep this issue. My engine has never (and will never) suffer an HGF for similar reasons because it's had these issues ironed out.

There have been about 4 Elises in NZ that have suffered HGF, not bad really given that of all the Elises in NZ, about 80% of them see regular track time.

the S2 Exige DOES have a Toyota engine in it and to be honest it's rubbish. They don't stand up to track abuse that well and are really no more reliable than the K-series engine in Elise/Exige application. The Toyota engine's extremely reliable as a road-car engine, but certainly isn't anything special as a track engine.

Above all else, I'm sticking with the Rover K engine as it's unrivalled for size and weight. The Toyota 2ZZ (and the Honda K20A) are both boat-anchors in comparison (although the Honda makes up for that by being very strong and very tuneable).

I'm sure the S2 we fitted the manifolds etc to was a K series.... but that was back in 04 so my memory is a little bit hazy...

Would have been an S2 Elise, not S2 Exige all S2 Exiges are Toyota powered... I'm guessing it was a White one with Green Stripes? :)

Going for the emerald purely because they do the job, do the job well and they're plug and play compatible with my loom. They're a known quantity and THE standard for tuned Lotuses in the UK so I won't be breaking any new ground with it. To my mind the Emerald will do way more than I'll ever want to do with it so why bother with anything else that'll be a bodge to fit?

i agree with the plug and play as been a valid reason

dont qualifie your choice of a lesser ecu buy saying the later would be bodge

that would be complely based on the instalation and juding by the rest of it ... it would be imaculate

the storm is a far better ecu in every respect .... TBH in comparson the emerarld is closer to a backyard bodge than you might think

The Toyota engine's extremely reliable as a road-car engine, but certainly isn't anything special as a track engine.

especially those ones in the formular toyota race cars

if your gunna bag something... at least make sure your comments are true

I'm sure the S2 we fitted the manifolds etc to was a K series.... but that was back in 04 so my memory is a little bit hazy...

Would have been an S2 Elise, not S2 Exige all S2 Exiges are Toyota powered... I'm guessing it was a White one with Green Stripes? :)

nah it was red with silver stripes - but I think we fitted the silver stripes on it... a wealthy gent by the name of Paul owned it.. he also had brand new M5 BMW and sweet as brand new Ducati Monster..

For my clarity what is the diff between an Exige and Elise?

nah it was red with silver stripes - but I think we fitted the silver stripes on it... a wealthy gent by the name of Paul owned it.. he also had brand new M5 BMW and sweet as brand new Ducati Monster..

paul kelly ?

also has a tvr chimera clubman a 911 gt2 a 512tr a e type (used to be owned by mike .... autocar euro in chch) and a f40 that he hates because it leaks fuel on his garage floor

the storm is a far better ecu in every respect .... TBH in comparson the emerarld is closer to a backyard bodge than you might think
Well that might be worth looking into... how much work would the Storm be to get working with my loom/sensors etc?

The TRS cars have rather a modified valvetrain and lubrication system compared to the standard 2ZZ... all I know is that in NZ tracks, in the back of Lotuses, I've seen more 2ZZs go pop than Rover Ks, and in saying that I'm not exactly praising the Rover K.

paul kelly ?

also has a tvr chimera clubman a 911 gt2 a 512tr a e type (used to be owned by mike .... autocar euro in chch) and a f40 that he hates because it leaks fuel on his garage floor

My word I think you could be right.. mid 50's white hair - very nice guy etc etc...

Well it's tricky... the basic difference is the Exige has a roof, the Elise doesn't...

In S1 form the cars were quite different, the Exige being very track based with a very much modified version of the Standard RoverK engine, different wheels, tyres, suspension, interior/safety gear, bodywork, aero etc.

The S2 Exige was based on the Later S2 (Toyota-powered Elise) and was basically just a dressed-up Elise with different suspension and wheels... whereas the S1 Exige was a much more stripped-down hardcore, limited build track car, the S2 Exige was more of a marketing exercise in that you could buy an Elise that was just as quick around a track than an Exige whereas when the S1 Exige came out it was far quicker on track than the Elise.

Well that might be worth looking into... how much work would the Storm be to get working with my loom/sensors etc?

The TRS cars have rather a modified valvetrain and lubrication system compared to the standard 2ZZ... all I know is that in NZ tracks, in the back of Lotuses, I've seen more 2ZZs go pop than Rover Ks, and in saying that I'm not exactly praising the Rover K.

i was more meaning properly prepared .. sorrz

all your sensors and triggers would work with a storm

and if you know the pinouts you can simply make a adapter board/box so that you retain the ability to plug in your stock ecu

if not a few hours of tracing and you soon will

tuning ... well that is a excuse to do some track days with a probe det set and a passinger

id get your main a/f' s done on a dyno... 2hours

and a few hours on the track will have you going well

there are lots of good tuners in nz that know links and know them well .... personally i think support like that is worth moonbeams

the new ones also support can bus so you can use the motec adr's have mill spec connectors like the m880mil and look quite good

they also have a output to connect to you stock engine light for warnings if something goes out of your preset parameters....

Well it's tricky... the basic difference is the Exige has a roof, the Elise doesn't...

In S1 form the cars were quite different, the Exige being very track based with a very much modified version of the Standard RoverK engine, different wheels, tyres, suspension, interior/safety gear, bodywork, aero etc.

The S2 Exige was based on the Later S2 (Toyota-powered Elise) and was basically just a dressed-up Elise with different suspension and wheels... whereas the S1 Exige was a much more stripped-down hardcore, limited build track car, the S2 Exige was more of a marketing exercise in that you could buy an Elise that was just as quick around a track than an Exige whereas when the S1 Exige came out it was far quicker on track than the Elise.

Interesting - I am sure this had a K-series motor and was definetly a S2 of some sort - as it had the triangular headlights as opposed to the round type..

Wayne... thanks a lot for the tips... I may hit you up for some info soon. I know Link is more locally supported so it might very well be a good tip! Thanks!

KK. The S2 cars ran a Rover K up until early 2005. The S2 was available with the 2ZZ Toyota engine from mid 2004 which eventually replaced the Rover K when that was phased out in '05... So S2 Elises can be either Rover or Yota powered depending on age and model... the Toyota-engined cars were the top spec when they were sold simultaneously.... sadly the Toyota cars are rather lardy compared to the Rover cars, carrying about 80kg extra weight which is vastly noticeable... This isn't just the engine though as the Toyota cars have a heavier chassis, more sound deadening and wiring and ABS.

The Toyota cars are more comfortable, the Rover cars are more Raw and rewarding to drive.

The S2 Exige was released in '04 when Toyota production started and has only ever been available with the Toyota engine.

The S1 Exige was quite literally just a slight rework of the Elise race car of the time (Motorsport Elise) with smaller road-legal wings, a back window and a slightly de-tuned engine to pass type-approval... as such the S1 Exige and the 340R special were about the most raw and raucous Elise model ever produced

no worries mate

i think im in aucks this weekend .. so will have to come say hi to winnie .... should probably ring him to make sure hes around

also while you have the car this far apart... have you considered a gps alarm setup ?

I'll ask him for ya when his meeting finishes :)

GPS alarm??!!?! Think of the weight!!!!! :)

Nah I'll just leave the factory alarm, seems to work okay... actually that's a thought, I know the Emerald unit interfaces with the factory immobiliser... wonder if the Storm would do that.?

But yeah, given that most people can't even figure out how to open the doors on the thing until you show them and the car's locked up like fort knox most of the time, security isn't the world's biggest worry, especially since it's usually up on axle stands! ;)

Wayne... thanks a lot for the tips... I may hit you up for some info soon. I know Link is more locally supported so it might very well be a good tip! Thanks!

KK. The S2 cars ran a Rover K up until early 2005. The S2 was available with the 2ZZ Toyota engine from mid 2004 which eventually replaced the Rover K when that was phased out in '05... So S2 Elises can be either Rover or Yota powered depending on age and model... the Toyota-engined cars were the top spec when they were sold simultaneously.... sadly the Toyota cars are rather lardy compared to the Rover cars, carrying about 80kg extra weight which is vastly noticeable... This isn't just the engine though as the Toyota cars have a heavier chassis, more sound deadening and wiring and ABS.

The Toyota cars are more comfortable, the Rover cars are more Raw and rewarding to drive.

The S2 Exige was released in '04 when Toyota production started and has only ever been available with the Toyota engine.

The S1 Exige was quite literally just a slight rework of the Elise race car of the time (Motorsport Elise) with smaller road-legal wings, a back window and a slightly de-tuned engine to pass type-approval... as such the S1 Exige and the 340R special were about the most raw and raucous Elise model ever produced

I can say fairly conclusively that it was a S2 Elise (early model..) cheers mate

as long as you know what signal it needs... im guessing it prolly just pulls a pin to earth so easy pezzy

since your doing a rebuild and biuying new bits...any consideration to wacking a s/c on there ? something small like a m90 :D

fuck tell winnie to tx me his number ... was gunna txt him hows ya metteing ... then realised his numbers not in my new ph

lol dammit mindfuck opertunity lost :D

PM sent :)

Blowing the K series isn't anything new although really I'll be looking at about 230-240 brake N/A... realistically getting the same amount S/C is realistic but the block doesn't tend to be stiff enough to take the cylinder pressures of forced induction that well... it works, but given that I'm pushing the reliability envelope as it is, I'm not wanting to take the risk/research of adding a blower.

Add to that that a blower will add weight and weight is the enemy... I'll keep it N/A. there is a company in the UK called Turbo Technics that does off the shelf K-kits.... pricey and questionable reliability though... mind you "questionable reliability" and "Rover K" go together like sauce on chips :)