Black intercoolers?

spanners

So IMO, I think I'd paint the front black (so it emits heat well) and leave the back shiney (to reflect heat radiation from the engine). Best of both worlds perhaps? What do others think about that idea?

Also, some stock intercoolers/radiators are black, so it can't be that bad for the engine could it? If it robbed the engine of a couple of Hp, i'm sure they wouldn't do it.

not a bad idea at all!

Guest vvega
^ it wont make any difference get over it

haha you been hanging round to much , turbing into grumpy diddy

though hes right the threeds a waste or words and life :D

No one has actually said exactly why it won't make a lick of difference so far, though vvvvega hinted at it with his comment.

The paint that you apply for stealth is only on the front of the fins and tubes/bars IE, the majority of the cooling does not happen on the front, it happens in the middle purely through conduction. The reflective and absorbent comments all come down to environmental factors.

If your engine bay had a radiator bar heater glowing red next to the intake, silver would be best, if it has a cold inner guard, matt black best, BUT, only assuming there is no airflow to take advantage of the conductive aspect. Black anodising would be a good choice as it's nice and thin.

Paint the front of it if you wish. If you don't dip it in paint and block the fins/insulate it you'll be sweet.

Fred.

oh fuck off fred, black intercoolers = 1g cornering minimum on every corner driving god stz

Fuckss, 1uz does that easy you knw how mush vtak i run on cold night? this bish cant handle polished/matt black incrocoolers my floor pans will blow off. /mteu power!

as with every other large mass produced mitsi intercooler...

evo 7/8/9

e7intercooler.gif

evo 4/5/6

e6intercooler.gif

evo 1/2/3

e3intercooler.gif

E39A VR-4

1931_13mg.jpg

Starion

e4f31uk1.jpg

Only black Mitsi intercoolers I can think of are the joke of an intercooler they call E84A VR-4 and EC5A/W intercoolers, they must have painted them black so people couldn't see them and laugh at how tiny they were