Sheared off Camshaft Locating Dowel

mikuni

I have a 2.5L Vectra V6 engine that has a strange problem. The pulley slipped on the camshaft. The locating dowel is still in one piece but where it goes into the camshaft is cracked and the pulley is damaged from where it slipped.

I've never seen anything like this before, no one I have talked to so far has either and I can't find any information about it happening on the net.

The engine looks ok and I can't find any signs as to why this has happened. I can fix it fine I think but I want to know why it would have happened? Loose cam pulley securing bolt? Seized camshaft? Something stopping the valves from opening? Just a shitty Opel camshaft that fucked out and broke?

I thought the engine was interferance (like my 2l ecotec) but after pulling it apart the pistons all have fly cuts in them and the valves are all fine, which I was very surprised to see.

vctpul.jpg

Cam pulley - notice where the dowel slipped

vctcam.jpg

The cracks can be seen in the camshaft where the dowel moved. I'm unsure if this was cause or effect..

vctcam1.jpg

A little bit of scouring on the camshaft but not too bad

vctjrnl.jpg

This is the worst part I can see. Very badly scoured journal

So I'm getting a new head because I was expecting to see broken valves but all seems fine. The headgasket was pretty fucked though so I'm wondering whether this engine has just had a hard life and needs both heads removed and a little bit of a clean up with new head seals/gaskets.

vctebay.jpg

gay engine bay

I would go with loose campulley securing bolt. Definately odd though. :?

That was my original thought too. Especially since it has had regular servicing from ebbets holden and the cambelt looks ok.

But why would they loosen the pulleys to replace the cambelt? Replacing the cam seals is the only thing I can think of. Is that common on cambelt replacement for new cars?

Guest vvega

typically dowels will shear not twist off like that ...that journal means you have contaminated oil might wanna pop off a big end and see if there damaged as well

if the camshaft seized the dowel would be in 2 bits

ethier way...it points to a loose bolt. if the cam shaft seized....you wouldn't be popping it out like that and it would have ally chunks stuck to it

if your not gonna check the big ends..polish the cap...put another camshaft in it ..and drive it

if your have contamination in your gallery's you will just fuck the next head you put on it anyways

oh and you take off the cam wheels when doing a belt because its way easier to get everything aligned and then slip and dowel the last cam wheel on

why would the cam belt look damaged..the pin would have spat and the pulley would have kept going around on the bolt

judging by the look of the head etc...it hasent had new seals....and it must have lacked servicing at some point because you have oil gum from assholes to kingdom come and you just don't get that on a well serviced engine

Cheers for that wayne. So I should flag new head stz and just get a new cam and pulley, pollish up the journal and mash it all back together?

why would the cam belt look damaged..the pin would have spat and the pulley would have kept going around on the bolt

judging by the look of the head etc...it hasent had new seals....and it must have lacked servicing at some point because you have oil gum from assholes to kingdom come and you just don't get that on a well serviced engine

Nah I wasn't meaning the cambelt would be damged, just that its all there, no teeth missing and it doesn't look old and worn like some begin to near the end of their life.

and yeah, shit servicing it looks like crap in there but I've seen much worse. It has done 240k's afterall which is heaps for an opel haha

Guest vvega

wanna bring it over for me to have a look at ?

ill do some measureing and see if we can get away with it ..i prolly have a tool to hone it up as well

bee down at workshop tomorrow and in the chop shop so wont be hard to find :D

You have to take the pulleys off to do the crank angle sensor on a 2.2 4 - not sure about the V6s.

I dis-agree!

It is one cunt of a job though.

also

We're here for you brad in your time of need, one can only imagine the horrors you're going through.

Oh pwnt. How the hell do you get it out then? :oops: I fail at cars.

remove cover from ht-leads/spark plugs,

remove/swing airbox out of the way, unbolt as many as possible of cam cover fasteners, peel back cam cover as far as possible without busting up shitty old plastic.

unbolt sensor without burning hands and/or dropping M6 torx bolt into nether regions of cam cover...

unplug sensor and remove through hole in rocker cover.

reverse is same for install... also, at this point notice all the insulation from shitty opel wiring that has baked/flaked off. Yet somehow the car will still run

20-ish min job. bit fiddly and limited for space tho.

hi-jack over.

Will have to try that next time :lol:

Had convinced myself it couldn't be manouvered out of the gap between the cam cover and backside of the pulleys after wiggling it around for ages, so pulled pulleys off.

Hijack #2 over.

Guest vvega
wanna bring it over for me to have a look at ?

yeah I just finished work but am pwnt etc. I'll bring stuff around later if you'll be around?

yeah mate spence is here too