Courier Handbrake

HighLUX

My mate has a 84 courier ute and it faild its wof on the handbrake it was reading 200 on the left but 0 on the right, the adjustment thread where the brake cable splits into a Y to run to both drums is wound fully up already. Is that the only way to adjust the handbrake or can i just adjust one side @ a time or is it new cable time.

i think your ment to adjust the cable at the handbrake itself ... might not have an adjustment there though

half the time where it splits one side has siezed in the cable covering or worn through the nylon inside and begin catching and sticking .,... either way thats new cable time ..unless the linkage inside the drum has siezed on the pin it sits on

undo the adjustment on the cable and adjust the shoes correctly with the drums off, then redo the adjustments. I seem to remember there being two places underneath and one nut at the back of the lever. all this is from an 89 though, so maybe quite different on yours. I also hand filed the stalk in the dash smooth and the damn thing never worked so well since it was brand new :-)

• 3 weeks later...

You need to set up the drum adjustment first or you will only have one side working all the time.

Its not a good set up but is effective when adjusted correctly.

The other thing is that you only have to have one side working for a WOF......So the foot brake reading had to be out also.