Relocating Battery

V8Pete

$25+ a meter makes for one expensive install!

I brought my whole kit off trademe for $30 all new.

Marine box

DSE large cable (only used half of it)

Bat terminals

Kill switch

Large lugs for earths

Was that a one off?

Getting everything without having to leave the house would be mean. :lol:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a 5 metre length of welding cable which was like $5 a metre, a battery box which was $20, a roll of decent electrical tape $5, a cable joiner $3, a positve battery terminal $3 and a pre made Earth cable $12. Slammed battery in box in the spare wheel well, ran cable under car along the brake lines and attached ground to a bolt hole on the body and chucked the positive cable on.

Battery is a big sucker i got for $100 bucks as a cashie.

Works mint.

Thought it was pretty good value

Welding cable is huge overkill IMO. Chris wired his up with the largest shit from Jaycar (which isnt very big) I didnt think it was large enough but its fine. Cranked for ages when trying to setup new system. Wire didnt change temp at all and starter turned fine.

its all rated to roughly 100 amps per 10mm for thermal reasons. as the size goes up that figure goes down. temperature is unlikely to be an issue. voltage drop is what you want to avoid. if it spins over fine with a fresh starter, battery and in warm weather, you might still be ok in cold weather with worn parts too. or you might not. if it cranks fast enough with worn parts in winter, you are golden.

I run slightly larger but no where near welding cable size..

welding cable comes from 16mm through to huge. the stuff in dick/jaycar etc is 16 - 20mm when they call it "4 gauge" ...

Guess if weight and looks isnt a problem then run it. IMO its ugly and overkill.. (which isnt always bad haha)

I like the industrial look, and its not heavy in the overall scheme of things really.

its heaps cheaper aswell though isnt it?figured thats the main reason most use it

True, but it's also way more resilient than the cheap shit at dick/jaycar. but less flexi.

said just to concentraTE ON HOW YOU RUN IT, MAKING SURE ITS SAFE ETC

Indeed, note the braided fuel hose around mine and the massive quantity of cable ties holding it still. But, it's still not a full substitute. When your legs are trapped in the dash and you can't move and it starts burning on the side of the road wrapped around that tree you'll wish you'd fused it somehow.

i work with electronics all day, personally wouldn't use anything that wasnt fused....

"you don't need brakes in a car, just concentrate on how you use the gas and make sure it's safe" that sounds as silly to me as not using a fuse

Great analogy.

Do those kill switches fuck out like a fuse if therer is a problem? Have heard of them fucking out before.. was wondering if it was from that or the contacts?

Probably wear and tear on the contacts esp if anyone was trying to switch something that was already trying to run. they aren't designed for that.

$25+ a meter makes for one expensive install!

yes, thats WAY too much, 25mm = 5/m 50=10/m or close to it.

fred.

Oh yeap the stuff I run is slightly larger than 4gauge stuf from jaycar. Maybe that or its just more insulation and same size wire lol.

Did'nt realise welding cable was diff sized but it does make sense. The last car I brought came with welding cable to do the battery install... Its MASSIVE and heavy as fuck compared to the stuff I used. Guess it could be one of the larger cable sizes however.

Either ways it aint hard to do a battery in boot install. I guess what you say about worn engine/winter summer is a valid point tho. Also high comp, modern engines/starter combinations and of course differant starters. Cable length, battery types also would come into play.