Intake manifolds

Guest Cap'n Morgan

Guest Cap'n Morgan

In the process of sorting a custom intake manifold for a 2000cc Quad throttle project Im not going to talk about cos its not exactly Oldschool recognised :P

But I reckon the manifold would apply to any car old or new. Ive been tossing up what materials to use and although ive seen a few made from stainless, I reckon Aluminium would work just as well, I have a good supply of high grade Ally and a few good contacts for fabrication.

Now one dilemma is whether to chop off the original manifold just after the injector ports to retain the mounts for the fuel rail and try to weld on an adaptor flange for the quads, or I could go fully fabricated like 'Mikuni's' awesome Chevette setup only in Ally.

Might also try and retain the original head flange and fabricate the manifold from there out.

So any thoughts / arguments to put forward?

oh hey chad boe

dont be scared to mention project, your stz isnt THAT newschool, plus, relativley closely related to a few guys off here, like boe-rads/mikuni's as you mentioned

material prolly doesnt matter, ally will/would cost more in both raw material and fabriction cost's but if you've got hookups then thats nothing to worry about

design, things to think about would be filter positioning, volume (more info will likely be revealed by someone/brad, flow into the throttle body's and so on

Guest Cap'n Morgan

Ive been told not to post any project threads on my car becos its not oldschool.

I beg to differ since I do all my own work in my workshop at home and pretty much go about shit the same hands on way that all you boes do. My cars are just 5 years or so too new for your criteria it seems, motors are still classics which is all that matters to me, so I'll jus keep my mouth shut about my Vectras :( Oh shit I said it!

I reckon I can write off my intake manifold as a new project at work since I run the R&D department LOL, Ill get the flanges water cut and write them off as samples :twisted:

I'd make it from ally. My stainless one was a fuck up.

We looked at cutting the intake manifold up and going from there but most engineers prefer to just start from scratch rather than add onto something and boogy it up. Plus welding nicely on cast alloy is a cunt and you really want it to be done nicely for flow.

The injectors only require an appropriate diameter tube welded on to the intake that the o-ring seals nicely in and something to hold them/the fuel rail on. Pretty simple really so another reason using a hacked factory manifold probably isn't worth it.

If you have enough room try to get them on top and pointing down into the valves but the 20v throttles make this difficult if space is tight. You might want to think about flipping them upside down so the linkages are on the bottom if that makes it easier to get the injectors on top.

edit: haha we can see you're sig pic, we know you have vectras. I like them, they just aren't really that fitting to the site. As I said, get a Manta C20XE :D

^ your cars not OS boe get over it, those turbo manifolds aren't really any use for quads are they.

Make it from alloy, so much easier to port match it afterwards and stainless is way to heavy. Chopping the original manifold is going to be an abortion make up a flange for the head and 4 flanges for the throttles and get some cunt to weld some pipe in between at the length/angle you want. Then drill holes and weld on injector bosses also weld up some mounting points to bolt the fuel rail down get a after market computer and tune

Guest Cap'n Morgan

Yeh thats where im heading. Might as well start shopping, yaaaah!

Ill probably be doing most of the work except for the welding :rolleyes:

Have to make sure the injector bushes are just right since my injectors have 'angled' spray patterns.