crank welding

sentra

does anyone in nz besides summit engineering weld/reclaim crankshaft journals?

build up all journals and send it to a crank grinder/blancer to have a heart attack over?

failing that, where could you order white metal halfs to spec from?

cheers for any information!

Summit prob dont do it anymore.. they stopped doing engine stuff and now focus mainly on their hydraulic side.

However, most reconditioners will do this.

Try

Motor Preparations in Otarahonga

christ $350 upwards on a gleason crank reclaimer, i see what you mean about throwing good money after bad

3 viable options i can see from here are->

find some sort of catalog of big end bearing sizes availiable, big end bore machined smaller.

buy 2nd hand crank (rocking horse poo)

buy new crank.

Anything motorcycle or marine is expensive.

Three engines the same with bad cranks probably means that either the engine has an instrisic design flaw or it is not being used as intenmded by the manufacturer.

If it is a G-kart then grafting another known motor into it is probably the best idea. Preferably one you can ride first to make certain it is not stuffed.

My little brother bought a Katana sight unseen off Tardme a few weeks ago. You guessed it - bad bigends and piston slap.

The parts alone are 70% of what the bike cost him.

i know why they keep failing :D

i suppose its just more intresting to do this kind of thing which makes it worth doing in itself then (probibly the more economical route) of going to a diffirent motor.

not the katana from west auckland?

spoke to one of the engineers at ACL today, very helpful, couldnt belive my luck at finding someone who had the time of day.

found a bearing out of a yanmar stationary engine thatl do what we want and were back on track.

• Like 1