Cressida wont start

Bullitt

A few of the people here are probably aware of my flatmates RX30 cressida...shown here with my wheels instead of the normal longchamps (I dont have a decent pic with his wheels)

DSC01230small.jpg

Anyway over the past few weeks we've put an 18RG in it

DSC01302small.jpg

We've now got a most unusual problem.

Got everything connected etc but it wouldnt start. So towed it and it started first time. Then turn it off and itll start on the key first time. But leave it to cool down and it wont start again.

Same thing has happened the past few days, if you push start it even at walking pace itll go first time but it wont start off the key. As long as its been running in the past 10 mins or so itll start easy.

Off the key it turns over fine but dont even try to start, youd think it had no petrol or something but seems to have plenty.

Because its only off the key from cold Im totally stumped.

this is highly unlikly but is the batt fully charged??? it could be just that low on amps that it cant run the ignition or fuel pump prehaps?? thats a weird prob and id be pointing striaght at that ...if not taht then ...iunno have to see it in person

That sounds very similar to a problem a friend of mine had with his finny. nobumps on here if you wanna talk to him about it, but from what I remember..

It could run mint for ages, a couple of hours even. All of a sudden it would stall and not start. If you waited for ages or tried push starting it would often start fine again and be fine from then on.

From memory I think it was rust and shit in the fuel tank. I assume that the fuel pump sucks up shit, then the car won't start untill it is turned of and the pressure stops, or until the blockage removes from the fuel line.

Hope that makes sense and things.

18r originally had a mechanical fuel pump, 18rg needs an electric one...but that was done about 2 months before the conversion and was running fine on the 18r.

Battery was pretty dodgy but has been replaced by a brand new one, you can see it in the corner of the pic.

He hasnt driven it that much yet but havnt had any problem with it stalling etc once its going.

18r originally had a mechanical fuel pump, 18rg needs an electric one...but that was done about 2 months before the conversion and was running fine on the 18r.

Battery was pretty dodgy but has been replaced by a brand new one, you can see it in the corner of the pic.

He hasnt driven it that much yet but havnt had any problem with it stalling etc once its going.

Yeah well thats the thing, you can change the fuel pump all you want (he actually did, as he had a similar problem on a 4age cortina), but the problem always remains. If its rust and stuff inside the tank then it will always clog up.

How is the ignition timing? What is it set at? What octane fuel is he running?

So when it's cold and you go to start it does the starter continually wind over but the engine doesn't fire? Have you checked the spark plugs? They could be old, and could be soaked in petrol from not firing. I'm not familiar with the twin carbs but do they have chokes? If so do they move freely and not sticking?

It turns over fine just dont even try to start.

Spark plus were brand new, havnt pulled them out to see what they look like now.

They do have chokes but they not connected, pretty typical for twin sidedraughts.

Suspect its gonna be an ignition related issue, timing or coil or something.

Running half a tank of 91 and half 98. Probably once it gets emptied he'll use 96

At a stab, something to do with ballast resistor. If it cranks but doesn't run, chances are so ething isn't plugged in right

Really simple once you sit down and think!

Engine start from ignition barrel goes to starter solenoid and relay (two seperate plugs), when engine is being cranked, relay switches 12V (which is 7-8V due to starter stealing power during crank) direct from starter straight to coil.

Engine run goes to resistor and drops 12V to 7-8V to stop the coil burning out

Can make up a simple circuit to follow if ya like?

I'd be picking the timing is too advanced. Had that problem with my 18R in my RX12. Would turn over but very slowly, but jump start it off another car and it would start fine. Once it was warm would start first pop. Tell Tom to use his "green bible"(18R,18RC,18RG factory engine manual) and set the timing how it says too for 18RG.

i had this prob with my gtz

its pretty simple realy

u either have one bad earthing proplem or it just comes down to the altenotor is fucked beyond beleaf

u jump it and she will fire up but once u leave it for more than two hrs the bat will be dead flat

cause the alt is leakin it off

check this before you go spending stupid amounts of $$$$$$$$$

i beeave with out looking at the car it prob wont be anything to do with timming and or fue prop