sHAVED DOOR HANDLES

nobumps

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE LEGALITY OF SHAVEN DOOR HANDLES? I AM SHAVING MINE AND USING A REMOTE SOLINOID TO POP THE DOOR OPEN, ALSO I AM RUNNING A BACK UP CABLE IN CASE THE BATTERY FAILS, THE INSIDE HANDLES WILL REMAIN STOCK. WILL I HAVE ANY PROBS? THE WHOLE CAR WILL BE GETTING CERTED ONCE FINISHED.

its definitely legal, my mate has his 323 bugeye shaven and remote central locking etc. but has these stupid knob things that you have pull upwards which is realy gay. he didnt have to get the cert but the previous owner may have allready got it. he got the alarm system and remote central locking installed etc, didnt cost much.

yea fully, fuck my mates system pisses me off. done cheaply my previous owner. unless u get it done realy well so it looks great and works well, get it done by remote.

i would personally get a nice button or something thats flush with the panal, to stay away from all that solenoid stuff. that, and i dont want people thinking im lazy :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
usually they like u to have an external way of opening the doors eg pull knob. incase of an accident and u are unconsious they have to be able to gain entry to the veichle

that cant be right, because most older jappa imports have auto locking doors, but i guess they wouldnt let that kinda stuff become legal anymore.

• 3 months later...
was fucking round and found this:

"Dear Certed,

I have a 190e Merc that im doin up and im in the process of shavin off my door handles. Ive got it all workin an stuff but before i finish it all i just wanted to know whether (a) I need a cert for it. and (B) what I need to do to be able to get a cert. Ive got the opening mechanism workin off of my central lockin solenoids im going to re-wire it so its all electrical and have my door open off my alarm remote. Can i do this i heard you have to have a way of opening the door from the out side an it has to be mechanical rather than electrical like i wanna do.

Cheers, Tony 2LOW50

Hi Tony,

The law of the land says that if you modify any part of a vehicle in a way that could affect any safety-related legal requirement, it must be low volume certified. Door retention systems are covered by safety-related legal requirements (LTSA have a whole Rule about them), so yes, what you are doing does need to be certified.

LVVTA's low volume vehicle standard allows shaved exterior door handles, and for electric solenoid systems to be installed.

To follow are the relevant clauses from LVVTA Low Volume Standard 155-20(01) Door Retention Systems:

2.6(3) An exterior door handle or other opening device may be positioned in a hidden location on a low volume vehicle, provided that either:

(a) the location is such that the handle or opening device is shielded or protected to prevent unintentional activation by contact from road debris; or

(B) the handle or opening device is positioned in such a way so as not to be able to be unintentionally activated.

2.6(4) A door fitted to a low volume vehicle may be opened from outside the vehicle, if fitted with:

(a) a fixed electrically-operated unlatching device; or

(B) a remotely operated and electrically operated unlatching device, provided that a fail-safe inter-lock system is incorporated to prevent unlatching of the doors unless:

(i) the ignition system is switched off; and

(ii) a gearbox inhibitor switch operating only in neutral and park, is engaged.

The main thrust of these regs are:

that the doors must be able to be opened from the inside by a mechanical means (no electrics); and

opening the doors from the exterior can be done electrically.

However, although doors can be unlocked by remote, they shouldn't be unlatched by remote. This is because of the risk of doors being opened when you don't want them to while travelling, by interference from some other source like a microwave speed detector. There is at least one American kit that does enable remote unlatching without safety risks, by cutting out the ability for the system to operate when the ignition is on or the vehicle is in gear. Talk to an lvv certifier with a hot rod background for help on this.

Cheers, Old Hoon"

was in a different thread. big ups to me for m3ga memory