TURBO 4M??????

P_Star

Well you see it goes like this..... i have access to a free turbo, due to a deal i did quite some time ago. Was originally gonna put it on the old lancer but now i have the crown.....

Can i turbo charge the old 4m? if so what would i need to do to it? i mean is this a home sort of job or should i just stick with the no power bus for now???

any help gladly appreciated and appologies if i sound like a complete n00b

Honestly I wouldn't bother chief.

Being an M-series motor, there's a few bolt-in swaps that would be of much greater use to you... the ultimate of course being the 7M-GTE.

It would probably be easier even to throw a 5M-GE in there and turbo that (existing EFi etc) rather than wasting time in the ol' 4M.

Just be prepared to nuke headgaskets :lol:

Nah dude, m series motors are great. 7m's don't blow gaskets as much if you torque the head to the right settings (apparantly manufacturers specs stated in the manual are wrong.. never owned one so don't know whats right tho)

m-teus came out factory turbo and I'm quite sure you can bolt this set up onto a 4m. Again, haven't tried it. 4m's actually go pretty sweet tho ay? I think a turbo on the side running 7-10lbs would be the one ay. Very easy to do, don't even have to worry about efi/engine swap etc etc if you can get a carb set up going sweet.

Yeah the engine makes reasonable sorta power but just figured if it was an easyish conversion may be worth while.... so whats this gteu thingo come in??? and would you just change the head over or just manifold etc?

If you dont have any plans for engine conversion for a while then id giv it a crack ay, pretty basic to do and will cost fuck all. You could either find an old injected 5m single cam, drop that in and muck round makn that turbo or just whack up a set up for the 4m. eitha way you wont get massive hp but with 7-10 psi itll probly be quite torquey and be a nice little fill in till you can save up for a 2jzgte or 1uzfe haha

If you dont have any plans for engine conversion for a while then id giv it a crack ay, pretty basic to do and will cost fuck all. You could either find an old injected 5m single cam, drop that in and muck round makn that turbo or just whack up a set up for the 4m. eitha way you wont get massive hp but with 7-10 psi itll probly be quite torquey and be a nice little fill in till you can save up for a 2jzgte or 1uzfe haha

Sounds like a bloody good idea that does! :wink:

M-TEU's came in Corona Mark II's, amongst other things.

I've heard that different headstuds can go some way to solving the headgasket issues on M-series engines too.

factory torque settings are at 54 ft lbs, which if you know a thing or two about motors, is very very low for a motor like a 7mgte.

my arp head studs came with instructions to torque them to 83 ft lbs, and thats with the grease provided which actually increases the torque again.

stock gasket with arps and correct torque will be fine.

or go hard like me and go hks metal headgasket to boot.

Factory 5M Turbo 170 HP same power as the 5MGEU 2.8 twin cam NA engine. The 5MGEU is quite a cool looking engine, looks like an old jag motor, good low down torque but still revs hard. Approx 15 years ago i used to own 2 supras, one with each of these engines. The N/A went alot better tho.

i am still to see proof of a factory 5m turbo.

MTEU is the m series motor sohc with turbo.

and they dont put out as much power as a stock 5mge.

but im sure with a few mods you could get power similar to a 5mge...

opps my bad, was sposed to say 4M turbo, not 5M . Sometimes i get the T's and the G's etc mixed up lol but i know what tryna write down as its all in my head.