Oil light

cute wee gem

Since ive put the new engine in the colt, the oil light comes on on the dash when at idle.. figuered it was just different engine. as when i'd tap the accel it would go out, drove about 40k's today, was in the shed tonight working on it.. then i noticed the oil light was bright when i turned it on.

What could be the problem?.. seems to run fine and doesnt smoke or anything

Edit: stays on even when revs are up, only started this tonight

Im not taking the piss.... have you checked the oil?

Is there enough in there? - The other option is was the oil pressure sender a factory item or different, some have different um, threshold as to when they switch the oil light on

Im not taking the piss.... have you checked the oil?

Is there enough in there? - The other option is was the oil pressure sender a factory item or different, some have different um, threshold as to when they switch the oil light on

Yeah, i checked the oil first off =). I also thought about the switch being diff on the new engine, the old engine (chain drive 4g32) had the oil thing on the side of the block and this one (belt drive) is on the oil filter housing thing

Maybe you could put an oil gauge on it and see what happens

My dad said that too, just got to find one, my mates an apprentice mechanic so he should be able to find one, cheers

Repco=Cheap 1 under $30.

I know you said you checked the oil, but its not TO full is it?

i had a probs like this when i first got my cortina mine has 4 gauges in the 1 fuel n temp gauge and oil and gen light i found in the back of the gauge the oil light bulb and gen light bulb was around the wrong way when i checked the haynes manual

My old sigma did the same thing. It was just the oil pressure switch which was faulty. It would flicker when idle, and sometimes wouldn't go out until you revved it a bit. I replaced the oil pressure switch and it fixed it.

BTW it should be under $10 from supercheap.. none of this repco rip off shit. Should be a Tridon TWS0017 part number.

haha go phil :P , but yea tru story bout new engines and diff cars had water sending on the fritz cos my 1600 motor had diff sender to the guage in dash ...went all over the fukin show ddnt trust so bought guage and unit as one ... solved it stiaght away....

Silly question time....

I'm not a Mitsi expert.....

Did the car that the new engine come from have an oil pressure light or an oil pressure guage?

In my experience, Japanese cars that have guages generally dont have pressure lights, so........

The reason the light might come on and stay on is that the sender unit is in fact a guage sender and not a on/off switch.

We had this problem with my KE25 when we put the 2T-G in it.

Have you tried putting the original switch back in?