SandBlasting

thminiman

im just wondering, what does sand or bead blasting actually involve?

how do the professionals do it? i want to do the interior and engine bay of my car but im not really prepared to fork out a hell of a lot of muney.

i had the idea of using an aircompressor with a home-made style feeder with some sand from placemakers...

would/could this work? sounds a bit rangi but it would save money.

theres some guys in waiuku that have started a beadblast shop just for cars.. a mate had a mini completely done and underneath too then they spray some fancy etch primer over it before you get it back.. i think that cost $700 and my panelbeater mate says he'd never sand a car back to metal again! they're booked out till jan tho :oops:

i got mine sand blasted, mega mission aye! if you just want a different colour, i suggest to just sand it back by 'hand'

hey callum, there's this stuff called tectal or something... heard of it? you spray it into chassis etc.

you use a special gun with a long hose. on the snd of the hose is a wacky spray head that turns around when stuff gets blasted through it. will protect inside sills etc. stuff goes EVERYWHERE!!!

where bead blasting comes into its own is where theres a fair amount of surface rust or worse... the bead/sandblast gets rid of it all so when you get it back your only left with the decision of which parts to cut out or fill in.

you'll never completely get rid of pitting with sandpaper without thinning and weakening the metal which also takes time and manhours

theres no point in a sandblast if your just repainting

So what about bead blasting an undercarriage? hows that done? do you have to remove the axles ect?

you can... its just harder for them to move the thing around thats all. i got mine done as a rolling body. did axles and everything. so now i can paint my axle nice and black again :)