supra 5 spd

RT

they are! Tung you don't know what you are talking about. The Celica is a steel case box, very strong but heavy at 45kgs. This is known as a W50. I do have access to one of these, together with a Alloy Dellow bellhousing for my pinto..

The W55 is a all alloy Supra box, totally different. 10kgs lighter and stronger again.

The W57 is the same but with better ratios.. better depends on what you are looking for of course. For me, a W57 would be better suited as W57's and 58's came out in turbo Supras and the W55 in the n/a. So with torque like what I have then taller ratios would be much better.

I was going to go auto.. but it seemed to much of a drama to get a C4 to mate with the pinto. And, although I want to drag it, I like chopping gears and I decided an auto might make the car a little boring to drive...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no it hasn't let me down yet to be honest. But yes it is the weakest link.. I've heard stories about them not being too strong.. good for up to 180hp but I'm pushing 250 now so its a bit of a worry. But the other reason for changing was the ratios.. first gear is too short and boost comes in and yeah.. first is a joke. But the w55 isn't much better... thats why I wanted a w57. V3k thought is was a 57.. but I don't blame him. :wink:

I was talking to a gearbox dude when we stripped down the 55, he said the type9's are always ruined by cunts putting additives in the oil. They hate it. Something to do with the nature of the syncros etc. And I instantly thought of that bloody gearup I got for xmas a few years ago..... :rolleyes:

Celica/Supra

Why not just talk in actual codes it makes much more sence.

W57's and W58's never came out behind turbo motors.

Only the W55 did and that was in a TA61 celica with the 3T-GTEU

The only turbo engine the celica/supra got was the M-TEU which only came in an auto.

The 2.8 twin 5M-GEU came with a W58 the 2.0 twin 1G-GEU came with a W55 the 1G-EU singlecam came with a W57

The W57 has more of an 'economy' ratio, but it doesn't really matter in any case.

from toymods

"W57's came in RA60's, RA65's

W58's came in RA65's (some), MA61's, JZA80's (behind the 2JZ-GE)

- Pre-82 (or thereabouts) most larger RWD Toyota cars came with a W40 (4-speed) or W50 (5-speed). Smaller cars came with a T50 5-speed (some Celicas and Corollas) or a K-series box (most Corollas).

- Post-82 the steel-case W40/50 was replaced with the alloy-case W5x boxes. Generally speaking the 4-cylinder cars came with a W55/57, while the sixes came with W58's.

- Post-92 or so saw the introduction of the second generation W58, which has updated internals including double-row synchros on 2nd and 3rd."

Either way, the steel case Celica W50 is a totally different box to the Alloy supra W55/57/58/59

I don't know for a fact that the 57/58 came in turbocharged models but it would make sense as they are the strongest and have the longest spread of ratios ideally setup for larger engines and turbochargers.

Eitherway, turns out I'm not going to use the W55 box afterall. I'm buying a friends W50 Celica box because it has a alloy dellow bellhousing and all the bits to run correctly. So if anyone is interested in a totally mint W55 let me know.

really? fuck for the price I'd be expecting some quality shit. I believe they quite expensive.

Meth: yeah you can get some nice close ratio celica boxes. But that is no good for me. I need long gears with a tall first so I can boost it through.

from toymods

"W57's came in RA60's, RA65's

W58's came in RA65's (some), MA61's, JZA80's (behind the 2JZ-GE)

- Pre-82 (or thereabouts) most larger RWD Toyota cars came with a W40 (4-speed) or W50 (5-speed). Smaller cars came with a T50 5-speed (some Celicas and Corollas) or a K-series box (most Corollas).

- Post-82 the steel-case W40/50 was replaced with the alloy-case W5x boxes. Generally speaking the 4-cylinder cars came with a W55/57, while the sixes came with W58's.

- Post-92 or so saw the introduction of the second generation W58, which has updated internals including double-row synchros on 2nd and 3rd."

Either way, the steel case Celica W50 is a totally different box to the Alloy supra W55/57/58/59

I don't know for a fact that the 57/58 came in turbocharged models but it would make sense as they are the strongest and have the longest spread of ratios ideally setup for larger engines and turbochargers.

Also a handy page to give all the specs for those boxes can be found here http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes.html

Took me a while to find a decent W58 with alloy bellhousing as well, but very much worth the wait.

Good luck with the box RT

I have worked out a couplea options. I have found a place here in chch that does dellow bellhousings for $350+gst.

So I'm in negoations with my mate who has the boxes. I'll either trade him my w55 with a cash difference for his w57 and buy the dellow.

Failing that I will just buy his steel case celica 5 speed which is all setup for my pinto. Nice and easy and the cheaper option too. But not as good in the long run as the ratios arn't ideal and it's not as strong.

So what you think would be a fair cash difference to convince him to exhage my 55 for his 57? (he builds nuts cars and the 55 won't be as suitable for him either so hes not that keen)

??

Guest WESTCORT

not sure but definatly go for the w57 might aswell sort your box out for good rather than having to change it again to get the better ratios in the long run