supra 5 spd

RT

Ok I restarted this thread..

Man, I've got a big decision to make.

We boogied it up in the workshop tonight with what came with it. We used a spare ford pressure plate (with no clutch plate) and bolted it up and it fits.

It uses the toyota clutch fork and metal cased thrust bearing. A pivot has been welded inside the bellhousing and the bracket on the outside purely for a hydrolic setup..

gbox1hu.jpg

..but I didn't plan on using a hydrolic setup, I wanted the simplicity of a cable. But since this half has been done it would seem silly to some not to use it. But this means having to do what on the pedal side of things?? The pedal box would have to be modified to push a master somewhere (enginebay space is very limited)...

For cable, I can't just use the Ford clutch fork, because the pivot is in the way, and the bellhousing is slightly shorter (10mm, because the supra shaft is shorter) which means I would have to cut of the pivot, and slice 10mm off the back of the ford clutch fork I suppose. AND the bearing wouldn't be correct for the fork so I would have to find a old metalcased 2L bearing and get the middle machined out to fit the larger Supra shaft AND get a different bearing face pushed on if I wanted to use a flat fingered heavy duty pressure plate..

decisions decisions

(btw you can see the difference between type9 and W57 here ... ones like a tall skinny man and the other is a stout beefcake..

gbox29ic.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go hydrolic if you can

all i did was get out the hole saw and make a hole in the firewall where i could see the brake pedal, bolted a VL master cyl in the hole.....then cross drilled the brake pedal and made up a push rod.

it was one of the easiest mods on the entire car. Just watch the ratio of pivot to rod and pivot to pedal, mine comes up very short! there is only 1.5 inches of pedal travel, but i wont lower the pivot point on the pedal for more travel as i quite like it :)

space wise it is right up close to the brake booster on the mk1 capri, maybe 2 inches to its left is all youll need and sits quite low too

cheers

cue

thoght of mayeb running a cable out to a "remote mounted" master cylinder?

Mate did this with his kp60 with a 4age - cable runs out to a "virtual pedal box" type mechanism that he mounted off the strut tower... if you get what i mean, then you can make the ratios of pedal-pushrod whatever you want... hard to explain, hoping you get what i mean??

fres up space on the firewall anyways

you could buy a complete pedal/master cyln from tilton mount it and jakes ya father. im sure you can get a compact version where the master cyl mounts inside the cabin with a remote resivour if room is tight. i priced one up a few years ago was quite cheap from cardwells in aucks

tilton is a brand name used alot in speedway but they also make universal pedal boxs with adjustable bias etc they also do a stand alone clutch set up circuit racers use them too. from memory it was only $115 for the clutch set up then just find a donor slave cyl

• 3 months later...

yeah anything with wilwood on it hurts ya pocket thats for sure. I could be interested in the alloy bellhousing from welly. Any idea what it would cost? Anyone in Welly wanna look into that for me.. :wink:

So far I keep running into unforseen issues. To be honest, nothing has quite gone to plan with this box. For starters, it turned out to be a W55 instead of a W57 which was a bit of a downer.

Then it was full of crud and needed to be stripped and cleaned etc. Then it seems the bellhousing is a bit of a mystery. I have doubts as to whether it was ever run.. I think I need to get it machined to make sure its %100 true. If the g/box face of the bellhousing isn't true to the engine side then it will cause all sorts of problems.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it would just be easier just to stock up on type9's and just put new ones in if they let go...