Mini Bonnet Help.

Guest dreadedretard

Any chance of a frontal photo of your mini? I'd like to see how the bonnet sits up/ misaligns with the grill etc because I had the same problem. I fixed it my repositioning the top grill surround( i thought it was called a moustach but may be wrong) in relation to the bonnet.

You say you shifted the grill up to improve allignment, I reckon you could shift the top surround down to improve it more.

On myne i found the bonnet and surround sat forwards of the grill. I fixed this the same way - by spacing the grill forwards.

Hope this kind of makes sense.

Guest dreadedretard

Its alot better now that ive fiddled with it a bit but now its just sticking up in one corner. which bugs me. but oh well. ill try get some pictures. ill have to source a digital camera or summing.

Cheers

Check where the hinges are bolted to the bonnet, they might have come lose causing it to slip out of place, if thats the case you will more than likely be able to see a change in paint colour or something and line it up to where it used to be? I have no idea otherwise.

Yeha, tell you what, I'll use my Bluebird.. it's got no wheels on it at the moment, which could work to your advantage. :D

But seriously now.. there must be something obvious causing the bonnet to sit like that surely? Why don't you PM, RT or one of the other CHCH boys to come and have a looksee, Bullitt, Alfaholic? Bullitt owned a Mini so he should be of some use, of course, he's moved onto better things now ;)

71mini.myphotoalbum.com

I've posted more pics in my photo album for you. They show how i created the illusion the bonnet sits flush with the grill etc. Myne was almost identical to yours in the way it sits. By taking the top surround off you can see where the bonnet hits the slam panel (cross bar thing). Myne hits in the middle and it always falls to the right (left side sits high). I could probably fix this by hammering the shit out of the slam panel to make it lower but I didn't.

I put bolts between the bonnet and the grill surround, and then put a longer screw through. Yours may be riveted to your bonnet so just drill these out and use screws. I also pushed the grill forwards and outwards by putting the screws through the grill-through a bolt and then into the slam panel. I have a photo of this also. One reason your bonnet dosnt bend ebough at the front and sits forawrds is because the skin has detached form the x-frame underneath. I think they are supposed to be spot welded but i know that on myne this gave way due to rust. I put a rivet through the bonnet skin and xframe to tighten the front bend.

If that doesn't make any sense PM me with a cell number and whereabouts in chch. I'll catchup sometime to show you what I did.

Check out the photos because they show you the spacer idea