Mini Bonnet Help.

Guest dreadedretard

Guest dreadedretard

Just before i noticed my bonnet looked very odd. standing up higher than usual. Me being a good car owner had a look and thought, ill pop the bonnet and see whats up with the clips and blah blah. The problem was.. it wont open. I removed the grill to help get into it didnt help much. So i am absolutely stuck with ideas. I poked at it with screw drivers and played with the springs and the bonnet latch. So... any ideas? people willing to give a hand?

Cheers.

Guest blown4

sorry to here that,i would come over and help but i might be a while as id be coming down from hamilton.hahaha :lol:

seriously tho ive owned several minis and never had that problem b4 :?

Guest blown4

is the centre pin on the front of the bonnet bent maybe?

you havent shut the bonnet with a screwdriver or spanner or some thing have you? :oops:

Guest dreadedretard

I thought it was the spring or the latch. But i fiddled with the spring to see if it was caught on the latch or anything but couldnt feel anything ay.. its really annoying me and i dont get it ay.. once i get it open screw latches im either taking the bonnet off completely or converting to a quick release one with bonnet 4 bonnet pins.

and no i didnt close it with a screw driver or spanner.

cheers.

Guest dreadedretard

I just opened it.. woohoo it was the spring. It was caught on the latch. which is weird:| but oh well. But im still fucked off cause' and of my grill. Its not lining up with the bonnet at all ay.. The bonnet sits way too high so the mistache bit i think is sitting about 10mm-20mm up so it doesnt meet up with the other chrome surround on the main grill. Ive adjusted the centre pin but it didnt lower it. Only make it harder to shut.

come on guys! i need help!

Guest dreadedretard

I might just get a pair for the front. and just leave the back on hinges and when i get more money and a bit of engine mods and looking betta ill get the other pair.

Hi

The center pin on your bonnet was possabily working loose and came out of adjustment which would answer why it suddenly sat higher. If you look at it you should see how to adjust it back and when you get it sitting right lock the lock nut up. I can't check mine to explain it better as my shell has just gone to be painted. But from memory the pointy bit at the end has got a screw slot in it adjust that up or down against the spring and I am sure theres a lock nut to stop it comming out of adjustment once set.

Good Luck it should be easy

Roy

Guest dreadedretard

Hey thanks for that. But ive put the spring real small as small as it can go and it wont go any lower. It stays at the same height. It looks awful. i know it sounds picky but to me the grill does not look right at all. It really needs to line up with the other surrounds. cheers.

hmm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OK you say "The bonnet sits way too high so the mistache bit i think is sitting about 10mm-20mm up so it doesnt meet up with the other chrome surround on the main grill"

Did the fit look right when you first got it.

What year is your mini if it had a "mo" grill from new it should be a MK1 and have external door hinges. I ask this cause the "mo" grills are sort after and are some times fitted to later marks. I read it some where in a Mini World mag I think there are mods to do to make it right. One was the lip on the bonnet had to be cut off can't remember if or what else. So have I look at some other round nose mini's to see if you can spot the differance.

Cheers

Roy

Guest dreadedretard

Im not really sure about what sort of grill it is. I dont think its a mustache one now. its just a chrome strip which is squarish along the bonnet. I fixed it by just moving the whole grill up and re-screwing it. Its just temporary till i either get a mesh grill with the original chrome surround or a full new grill from the UK or summing.

Cheers.

Guest blown4

if the mini youre talking about is the one in your avatar,i noticed it has internal hinges which tells me"late model",which means the grill may have been retrofitted,you my be able to tell by the front lip on the bonnet should have been ground back cos they have different bonnets(just the lip i mean)

Guest dreadedretard

Yea it is that mini. Its a 1975 AUstin and well.. im really not sure. Im almost ready to give up ay.. ive just moved the grill up for the time being just to make it looks alright. I dont tihnk its the right bonnet. It doesnt sit right no matter how much i try adjust things. Thought it may have been re-done and put on same with the grill. Its had a new paint job before i got it. Its a bit rough but its ok and when i first took off the grill i notced there were fresh holes where the grill was screwed into. And i couldnt see any original holes. Which is strange...