4G63 engine conversion

coltspeed

I'll be using my gearbox from the colt as it bolts straight up. I'll be using the clutch from a 4g63. I'm checking out what flywheel i'll be using today as i'm not sure if the FWD or RWD 4g63 is the right one to use.

A friend of mine is doing a trial fitting of his SOHC 4g63 today into his GTO, so we will be looking at the flywheel/starter motor combo today.

I'll give my insurance company a ring today and see what they say, although i don't see it making any difference to them as all they see is engine capacity of 2.0L come up on their computer screens! I was hoping to get away without needing a cert as there is no chopping of anything and the cc rating stays the same, but as you said they definately didn't come out fuel injected, but they did come out twin cam.

me and a friend did a trial fitting of a FWD SOHC 4g63 enginge yesterday into his colt and here is the verdict so far...

RWD 4g63 mounts are required, but only the mount that actually bolts to the block(as they have a wider spacing) the rest is left as std and bolts straight up.

the sigma/galant geabox bolts straight up(excellent!!!) to the block and also the gearbox crossmember still bolts into the original place.

Lowlancer I noticed that on my car there are two mounting points for the gearbox crossmember, you might want to take your xmember off and see if this is the same(i bet it is). i think that one set is for the shorter 4 speed box and the other is for the longer 5 speed box. considering your car is basically the same as mine you will have no problem putting a 5speed in your car so long as you get a driveshaft from the 5 speed model, and these are plentiful and cheap!

defective i had a look at austarion and there was some good info...cheers mate.

i'm still a little concerned with the crank angle sensor, i don't know where to go to get it changed to fire off the front, anyone know?

apart from that, this is turning out to be a really easy conversion.

cheers

shirwan.

I did a bit of measuring today of the crank/cam angle sensor on the DOHC engine and it protrudes 35mm from the back of the head (i have 50mm), now if my calculations are correct (and i'm syre they are) i wont have to remove it! This means i don't need an aftermarket computer, so i will be running the factory ecu (saving money).

It looks as though the only mods i will be making are the throttle body and water outlet off the back of the head, custom extractors and various hoses(radiator,heater etc...).

Guest 78lancer

in un related maters i have just taken the cheap option and have just rebuilt my 4g36 in my 78 4 door lancer, is now primered and lowered, exhaust is half way there with a 4" dytech dumpy sitting in the shed and a 1 3/4 inch strait thru with no mufflers, just the dumpy.. and lowlancer i got a new grill with park lites in it and new light surrounds

why all this trouble for a non turbo?

quite a few reasons really...I don't want any hassles with insurance, turbo motors are way to expensive(have you seen the asking price for a 15yr old vr4 engine, it's ludicris). i wouldn't pay more than $500 for an engine that old! i don't want to have the car off the road for the amount of time it would take to do brakes, suspension etc for the cert.

but if anyone is willing to sponsor(read pay) for a 4g63t conversion i'm more than willing to listen.