4G63 engine conversion

coltspeed

some 4G63's are different, not very however. the bellhousing pattern between the older one's and newer ones is different so gearboxes won't swap over and evo motor's don't have the mounts for rwd configurations, the rest of the dohc motor's seem to however including the vr4 motor.

if you want to go dohc you can use an old L200 gearbox (the 4g63 L200's obviously) but i'm not sure on the exact year you should be looking at(although i know an 85 one thats being used). that would probably be cable clutch as well which would make things easier (i'm assuming that the old colts are cable clutch).

i swapped from the 1600 in my EX lancer (4G31????) to a sohc 4G63BT and the mounts were exactly the same, except for a locating pin. i just used starion mounts cause i had some handy but it would be pretty easy to either grind the pin off or drill a hole to suit.

carby would be the easiest to do of course cause there'd be no change in wiring but then you'd be looking at reasonably old engines. some sohc and dohc 4g63 inlet manifolds are interchangable (apparently) but i've never done it myself and the dohc manifold will be facing the wrong way for your engine, not a hard thing to fix though.

if you're in Auckland (is yours the colt i used to see in Devonport???) i might be able to organise for you to have a look at my mates 85 L200 ute, its running a vr4 turbo motor but should give you some idea of the stuff you'll have to do (north/south to east/west engine swap, move thermostat away from firewall, custom pipework for water from rear of engine to radiator, etc)

and there's a guy on nzmmc who just swapped a sigma 4g63 carby into his EX lancer:

http://forums.nzmmc.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=27751

cheers

Matt

don't know for sure sorry. from my experience the 2 litre gearboxes are longer than the 1600 one's (sorry, don't know whats in your celeste) but use the same mounts. when i swapped my gearbox i used the same gearbox crossmember but had to swap driveshaft. i'm guessing you'd need to modify your driveshaft, and i'm not even sure if the gearbox would bolt up to your engine if its a 1600. wish i hadn't have scrapped my old motor and gearbox at times like this, would have been handy for measuring and comparing.

cheers

Matt

Hey,

How ya going, first time to this forum....

Um yeah, I have a 1975 Lancer with a Starion Block and VR4 4G63 head. This allows the use of the starion gearbox with out to much F*** around. At the moment running VG30.

If I where to do conversion again, would definately purchase both VR4 and Starion engines, as there is a lot of Jig saw work peicing together front pulley system.

Other problems are water outlet will now be facing towards firewall with means custom made water outlet. In addition the Cam Angle sensor will be facing the firewall also, and proved to be to toit a fit. Required to make up a trigger system off the front cam gears for both crank angle sensor and Cam Angle sensor.

Will hopefully have a web site up and running 2005 as this is a relativly untouched type of project and the word needs to get out...........:)

Thats pretty much all there is to it... if you run into any difficulties drop us a email, glad to help out.

Mick

this is all great info...there are 2 different 4G63 blocks, the RWD and FWD. for my car(cause i plan on using the original gearbox) the FWD 4G63 is the easier option, even though it uses a skinny block the spiggot(sp?) lines up perfectly. The RWD block(starion/EX turbo lancer) only lines up with the bellhousing! both require the use of 4G63 RWD engine mounts howerver. i know that the crank angle sensor and water pump have to be relocated. but the extra hassle would be worth the look i'm after under the bonnet(not to mention the performance gains).

rxtoy i don't think my car is one you see in devonport, as i haven't been there in years. but i am VERY interested in seeing the L200!!!

Hey,

All I can suggest is going to a local wreckers and obtaining a bell housing from different gearboxes that you think may fit. I have never tried that match up so not sure...

I no the Sigma 2.6lt gearbox fits up to the starion G63b block. If you know if your engine bolt pattern is the same as the Starion this would be a goer.

There is a place in South Australia that custom makes bell housings, and or Dello a company in Australia that have heaps of molds waiting to suit.

http://www.dellowauto.com.au/

http://www.rodshop.com.au/

I have heard a few bad reports from the Dellow company as in, the big company syndrom.

I am close to installing Hilux LSD diff to my lancer and will be utalising a W58 Supra Gearbox. I am going to use the services of Castlemain Rod Shop, as they do custom work. It may be a little expensive but I believe that the job would be much better.

Hope that helps, Any gearbox will fit, just so long as you can get a bellhousing made up for it.

Mick

Guest meataxe

ive seen the l200 ute going through takapuna a while ago! ya just think its another rugged old ute.... until you hear the turbo spooling up and the blowoff valve!...and then its gone!!

The Waterpump problem is an easy fix, just a matter of buying a new pump for either the L200 or L300 engine. Then it's just a matter of having a bit of a play with the other piping, which is really easy.

As for the intake manifold having the Throttle body facing the firewall, is easy to get the throttle body mount cut off and tig welded on the other end of the manifold.

Does anybody know if the later EVO intake manifolds will bolt up to earlier heads? Because the engines are now on the RHS of the car the intake manifold will have the Throttle body on the correct end for your application.

I'm off to buy an engine tomorrow. It's an E33 galant 2.0 DOHC. I have starion engine mounts and a MoTeC computer already. The only concerns I have at the moment are the crank/cam angle sensor!

Is there any specific type of place you have to take the engine to to have this remote set-up and does the engine have to be in the car already and ready to go so the timing can be set? Also instead of cutting the throttle body up, will the evo 5 one bolt straight up?

I figure i will be able to run the water outlet out and under the inj rail with the thermostat mounted under there.

Any thoughts so far? and am i going in the right direction?

Also considering this conversion...will i need a certification?

Cheers Shirwan.

it will definitly need a cert. i don't know the exact wording (it should be on the LTSA website somewhere) but if the car (your actual car, not just the type of car) didn't receive that particular engine block or if the power output has been increased by more than 25% (pretty sure its 25%) or induction has been changed then you need a cert.

since i'm pretty sure that colts never came with 2 litre fuel injected motors you'll pretty much need one to be legal. that said you might be able to get a wof without one but you'd probably find it would void your insurance.

what are your plans for the gearbox?

and i'll give you a call some time tomorrow regarding my mates ute

cheers

Matt