Borrow a 3D Scanner?

Long shot i know, but does anyone in Chch have a decent 3d scanner they would be willing to lend me (I have a decent PC).

I want to scan the inside of a wheel, caliper brackets, rear axles flanges. as I want to remake the caliper mounts, and i'm thinking it would make life easier to see where it is in 3d space.

Happy to pay some money your way for the hassle.

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

I've been messing around with Polycam on Iphone, $40 for the full app but also has a 7 day free trial, so far the results are pretty good

IMG_6176.thumb.jpg.d1ee2d2e032692762ad5ba6554c00170.jpg

Lidar on the iPhone definitely helps quality. Unfortunately I'm running android and I was not impressed with the photo scanning.

When do you need it done by?

I have a couple of scanners (Revopoint Mini and POP2), but I don't tend to lend shit out after being burnt too many times. I'm local to you but can't do anything for a couple of weeks I would say as recovering from surgery. Could bring your bits over to scan. Flick me a PM if that works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Bling said:

When do you need it done by?

I have a couple of scanners (Revopoint Mini and POP2), but I don't tend to lend shit out after being burnt too many times. I'm local to you but can't do anything for a couple of weeks I would say as recovering from surgery. Could bring your bits over to scan. Flick me a PM if that works.

Completely understand your position on lending stuff :)

it's a bit much work to take the entire rear axle assembly (AE86) out of the car, but i'll see how I go with manual measurements and hit you up in a few weeks if i get stuck.

I definitely have another item you could easily scan (headlight surround) which would make my life a whole lot easier but it's way down on my priorities list at the moment.

I have technical drawings of the calipers etc, it's more just working out where in 3d space they sit compared to housing.

I want to see if it's worth remaking the hat and moving the caliper outboard within the wheel and tolerances are very tight all round.

image.png.e41856213b7e7d8891e95bdc4c6674a9.png

• Like 1

All good, can probably pop past and try the bits that aren't small / removeable. It's no $15k scanning kit, so has it's limits but yeah hit me up later on and we can go from there.

• Thanks 1