Tortrons Crispy CT

tortron

My cousin did some wheeling and dealing and brought this home one day. In exchange for taking away some Morris minor parts, this was thrown on top to keep them from blowing off the trailer. 

Screenshot_20240219_191535_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.b9120b47d788e4b27f2e75f22f1d42ac.jpgScreenshot_20240219_191529_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.e105741ec9fcc2dfbce60634cac8f7a3.jpg

It's all there, I even have the bits that melted off into puddles on the ground. 

Story is the barn burnt down, this was in thr shed next to the barn, so although it got pretty hot, it wasn't ever on fire itself. Cousin put a new carb on for some reason, and got it going, it went up the tanker track, made a bang, and didn't run since 

I dunno yet if there's any plastic gears in the engine, but it kicks over and all the compression shoots out the exhaust flange

Screenshot_20240219_191854_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.ddb8746d0e459fe53a1663c36451e6f4.jpg

Probably this mess has something to do with that

• Like 7

Luckily the aux tank and hose is still in good cond

IMG_20240219_192419.thumb.jpg.a551bc75b857c396a3c3eee5c7f8c5aa.jpg

The shocks front and rear, well.... 

Do they actually have any fluid in them? I think the fronts did, as there's black smoo all down them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This has been sitting out in the way for the last year or so, so I'm keen to have that not be. 

Today I removed anything too melted to use. 

Pulled the loom and it's currently in my ultrasonic cleaner getting a hot wash. Most of the front is melted through, so I'm expecting to remake it. On that note, I'm going to get rid of everything except for the ign circuit, headlamp, and a tail marker light. 

The switches are partially melted, so this makes sense to me. It's missing the rear indicators and the front lenses melted off. Speedo melted, glass shattered, and the cable is broken. So delete that too. 

My plan is a stripped down, mostly stock bodied trail/hunting bike (I. E what this originally was made for I guess) 

Screenshot_20240219_102312_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3c15ea0a83806aba4e059b034fe5746b.jpgScreenshot_20240219_102231_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.913deae3c6269ca23bd223b2784b1c84.jpg

Something like these for inspiration 

• Like 9

Armed with a stripped down loom, I sprayed some petrol in the carb

IMG_20240220_142102_edit_539747872207744.thumb.jpg.a8a8c1cbc4ddf3d962bd0e89a189fb7e.jpg

And nothing

Cleaned the points, and now getting spark. Not amazing spark, but it's there. 

Got it to chuff on a couple of kicks, but that's about it. 

I will next test the coil, condenser, clean out the carb and probably do a leak down test, but it's promising at least. 

If the above checks out, I will make up a new loom, I have a feeling the coil might have gotten a bit too warm in it's little oven space

• Like 8

Looks like a fairly low hr 0.50 over piston in there too, but intake is scored. 

Rtv gaskets 

IMG_20240221_102428.thumb.jpg.86a71d827dbb43da5a0cafff5c98c66c.jpg

Timing was way out 

I think it had a rebuild not that long ago :)

I might pull a side cover and look down the cylinder hole and see how I feel about the bottom end. 

Cam has some scratches on the edge of both the lobes, which may be normal as thrybare right on the edge and not where the rockers rub. 

At this stage I would like another 90 engine for it, possibly just a good top end. Maybe some front and rear shocks. I think there must be these components floating around after lifan, hard tail, and disc front end swaps? 

• Like 2

Lifan won't bolt in to a 6v CT but will for later 12v bikes, one of the mount holes is in a different spot. Buy a bit of choppychoppyweldyweldy sorts it

You can run a 110cc upwards top end but also requires sweet custom mods (either turn the sleeve down or machine the cases to receive the barrel) 

Fuck yes, keep the 90, they're great little chuffers when you get them sorted. I'd clean things up, hone, piston and rings if necessary and use. I re-kitted the carb but never had it running right so put china carb on it that goes ok.
They need over 6V to fire and there's no drop-in electronic ignition available sadly, but I did the Brass monkey (~ 280kms one way) no bother on OG points, and have done a couple of trail rides where it went places other bikes wouldn't. I toyed with changing sprockets but factory ones work ok if you're not after something that will do 100kph (people chasing that end up with not enough torque to push it that high anyway).

if you're just using it off-road you could prob sell the aux tank and exhaust for quite a bit of dollarydoos, chuck a cheap pipe on it and profit.

Think I replaced rear shocks on mine with Ali specials, as OG too soft for my svelte frame...

this will ruin other bikes for you.

CT90 the world...

• Like 2

The aux tank is the main reason I took it, but I might keep it for my other bikes

Have original carb and new carb. Original is probably fine, it didn't look too bad

Hone - nah its fucked, cylinder is all pitted. What I think happened is someone got it not running, gave it a hone and new piston, despite the bore being stuffed, and maybe it ran for a minute or two before the rust fell out of the pits and it stopped forever. I wouldn't trust my cousins recollection of it running 

Possibly can take it out to 1mm or 1.25, will see, aliexpress cylinders don't look to be correct. 

Same pin size as a GN125 tho... 

• Like 2

You can fit a gn125 cylinder with some slotting of the bolt holes apparently. (that's actually an an125 cylinder but it's almost the same) looks like there's enough meat to do that. 2 on the right are pretty close

Is about 1cm taller

IMG_20240221_124159_edit_586794167312544.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think actually something like an lt185 has 1cm less cylinder height as well. I forget if it uses a Dr200 piston tho which has a bigger pin. 

But no, I'm not doing that, I just happened to have that sitting on the shelf

Enough of that nonsense (press the sleeve out of a GN and run the piston in that in the standard cylinder to maintain std head) 

I went and picked up 2 engines tonight. One complete and supposedly running, although backfiring (has a China pod filter on it) and a second junker parts engine. 

Guy had lots of other parts, but I refused, because putting decent parts on this is a slippery slope to a  100hrs paintjob

• Like 4

Hey Tortron,

Really enjoy your content, especially in regards to your 87 DR-200.

Did you manage to get it road legal?

Just wanting to know as I have an 87 DR-200, that has an after market exhaust, new lights. turn signals, etc.

It doesn’t have a VIN Plate, but does have a serial no. stamped onto the headset on the chassis, is that info enough to get in legal?

cheers,

Evo.

Mine had a vin plate on it so I was able to prove it had been on the road before and it was just a standard revin/rerego

A nz vin plate isn't needed, just the frame number can be used, they will probably fix a vinplate to it at the inspection

BUT

If yours was never on the road you might have some issues, you may be able to get a letter from Suzuki stating that that model was road legal, and get it legal that way. Some guys on here have done similar with old hondas I think. You may also have to prove where the bike came from I.e a list of which frame numbers were imported into nz from suzuki, and that might be a hard one 

Mine was actually registered previously in Japan and imported a few years later, there's only about 5 registered ones that I recall seeing in the data from ltsa, so they may have all been imported used (there's also a couple of sp200 in nz, they were the official road legal version, they have red plastics)