AI1's '75 Pontiac Trans-am

CUL8R

From what it looks like, you're pointing at the "kick panel" 

I usually have a look on yearone/summit/ogpi etc and try decipher what the yanks call each part - heaps of things seemingly have well different names to what we'd call them. 

If you need any steel parts, I cant recommend Retroautoparts thoroughly enough - you can pick up the Parts or he'll bring them in, generally for less than the cost of the Parts online overseas.

Must be some good F-Body groups on facebook to join too for advice? 

Thats a big 10-4 Snowman lol

• Like 2

Cool car, I am jealous.

It is definitely not a 1975, it has the big back window which came out in 1976. You can decode the year of the car from the VIN number which is on the top of the dashboard, there are web sites where you can put the number in and it will decode. 

The great thing about 2 gen F-Bodies is just about everything is available for them. I have bought a lot of stuff from Classic Industries for my 1st Gen.

Looking forward to watching the build. 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 00:01, CUL8R said:

From what it looks like, you're pointing at the "kick panel" 

I usually have a look on yearone/summit/ogpi etc and try decipher what the yanks call each part - heaps of things seemingly have well different names to what we'd call them.

Thanks CULA8R. Ah, a "kick panel" eh? I removed them both today. The drivers side was surprisingly difficult to get off as it's right up against the high-beam foot switch and I had to do some swearing to get that off first.

On 02/02/2024 at 08:40, dmulally said:

Not sure if you're keeping the running gear as is but resist the urge to move to a 700r4. Don't be like me. 

Love this car. 

Thans dmulally. I was going to save this for a later rant but I'd love to convert it to manual, any brand at all muncie, tremec, toyota supra, etc, but the price on trademe seems ridiculous. For example I can get another 350chev + TH350 for cheaper than just a manual transmission, even before adding in clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, and perhaps a starter to match new flywheel (?). Am I looking in the wrong place? Should I just call up a wrecker? Anyway, I don't know enough about this sort of thing to know what's what yet.

On 02/02/2024 at 11:16, Kiwibirdman said:

Cool car, I am jealous.

It is definitely not a 1975, it has the big back window which came out in 1976. You can decode the year of the car from the VIN number which is on the top of the dashboard, there are web sites where you can put the number in and it will decode. 

The great thing about 2 gen F-Bodies is just about everything is available for them. I have bought a lot of stuff from Classic Industries for my 1st Gen.

Looking forward to watching the build. 

20 hours ago, CUL8R said:

https://www.andysautosport.com/learning_center/vehicle_specs/f-body_vehicle_identification_number_(vin)_decoding/

For the full break down. I quite enjoy doing this on the stuff I've owned

OK guys, this is interesting, according to carjam the VIN is 2W87S5N525158, which, using the link from CUL8R indicates

W = Trans Am (1977-1979)
5 = 1975

Which seem like incompatible options. I'll have to check the real vin against the car.

For any big Chev parts I used Charlton Auto from Gore. I have bought gearboxes from them before.

If you have a short diff then get a T56 and if the diff is in the 2's then I would go 4 speed. For carb choice I got 7 litres saved per 100km with a quadrajet over an edelbrock. 

Everything is expensive these days however marketplace prob the cheapest place to look. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1536298060551851/?mibextid=dXMIcH

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6964925783630541/?mibextid=dXMIcH

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kiwibirdman said:

I wouldn't count on the VIN in carjam being right. Plenty of mix ups when cars got registered years ago. Not too hard to see a badly written 8 being turned into a 5. 

Agreed, from memory the VIN on this car doesn't match what's on Carjam.

Edit.. looked back on my previous thread & it was the calling it a Firebird & not Trans am that was wrong on Carjam.

@Al1, wouldn't surprise me if the '5' on the Carjam VIN has been misread & its a 6 or 8.

Do these have build/id plates on the LF lower windscreen area ontop of the edge of the dash where it meets the screen? (like on Chevys?)

Thats the actual american Vin rather than the NZ alloy type one.

• 2 weeks later...